Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• macleodmorgan 2 posts 22 karma points
    Aug 15, 2023 @ 13:42
    macleodmorgan

Different group types aren't allowed between compositions

I am getting the following error message when I add a property to a document type:

"Validation: Different group types aren't allowed between compositions"

I can't see anything online related to this specific error message.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

• Marc Goodson 2154 posts 14385 karma points MVP 9x c-trib
    Aug 20, 2023 @ 09:16
    Marc Goodson

Hi macleodmorgan

Looking at the source, that particular error is thrown here:

https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/blob/d7cbd9bf619ef22aeb2d7fa6bd9b94f1e8478e0b/src/Umbraco.Web.BackOffice/Controllers/ContentTypeControllerBase.cs#L631

When saving a document type, as is triggered if the alias of the tab / group clash or is in a reserved list of alias that 'Umbraco' uses for internal things, for example you can't have a tab called 'Content'...

If I'm reading things correctly based on what you have above, it looks like you might have called the Tab or Group 'Validation' - and so 'maybe' - Validation is one of those invalid property aliases, eg is used by Umbraco for something else.

So first question is do you get the same error, if you call the tab / group something else? eg 'Page Validation' or something...

regards

marc

• ewuski 98 posts 285 karma points
    Jan 09, 2024 @ 16:41
    ewuski

This error will also show up if you are trying to convert to tab a properties group defined in a composition and if you added a custom property on a doc type to this group.

Problem

1. I have a composition called CompositionPreferences that have a group called Preferences and some properties underneath.

2. I inherit the composition in Product and Booking doc types.

3. Then in a Product doc type I add a local property to the Preferences group inherited from CompositionPreferences.

4. I try to convert Preferences group in the CompositionPreferences composition to a tab. I get this error because I have a local property in the same group in Product doc type.

Solution

In order to effectively convert the group Preferences to a tab I need to move somewhere else (to another group or outside of group) the local property or any other local properties) from the inherited group Preferences in any doc types that have local properties in the inherited group. Only then I can convert the group to a tab without error.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft