Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jon Behrens 11 posts 131 karma points
    Aug 20, 2023 @ 20:09
    Jon Behrens

Invalid Configuration Data Error 500.19

Hello,

I am running Umbraco 7.2.8 The site on a commercial server works fine and has been running smoothly for quite a number of years. I now want to make some changes and am trying to get the site to run on a Windows 10 workstation (a virtual machine running on Linux if that matters) so that I can test come code changes.

The IIS version installed on the workstation by default is Version 10. I have made a V4.0 Classic application pool. The identity for that pool is NetworkService. I have granted file system full control to NetworkService.

When I try to browse the site on the workstation, I get a 500.19 error:

Config Error - This configuration section cannot be used at this path. This happens when the section is locked at a parent level. Locking is either by default (overrideModeDefault="Deny"), or set explicitly by a location tag with overrideMode="Deny" or the legacy allowOverride="false".

Config Source:

194: </modules>

195: <handlers accessPolicy="Read, Write, Script, Execute">

196: <remove name="WebServiceHandlerFactory-Integrated" />

I've got no clue where to go from here.

Thanks for any help: Jon

• Huw Reddick 1741 posts 6104 karma points MVP c-trib
    Aug 21, 2023 @ 12:18
    Huw Reddick

DO you have those settings in your web.config? if so, just comment them out as they shouldn't be there.

Aug 21, 2023 @ 16:21
    Jon Behrens

Thanks for the answer.

Do you mean to remove the entire handlers section? The reason I ask is that the config file was copied from the running production site. Here's the entire section:

<handlers accessPolicy="Read, Write, Script, Execute">
      <remove name="WebServiceHandlerFactory-Integrated" />
      <remove name="ScriptHandlerFactory" />
      <remove name="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices" />
      <remove name="ScriptResource" />
      <remove name="Channels" />
      <remove name="Channels_Word" />
      <remove name="ClientDependency" />
      <remove name="MiniProfiler" />
      <add name="ScriptHandlerFactory" verb="*" path="*.asmx" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
      <add name="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices" verb="*" path="*_AppService.axd" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
      <add name="ScriptResource" verb="GET,HEAD" path="ScriptResource.axd" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
      <add verb="*" name="Channels" preCondition="integratedMode" path="umbraco/channels.aspx" type="umbraco.presentation.channels.api, umbraco" />
      <add verb="*" name="Channels_Word" preCondition="integratedMode" path="umbraco/channels/word.aspx" type="umbraco.presentation.channels.wordApi, umbraco" />
      <add verb="*" name="ClientDependency" preCondition="integratedMode" path="DependencyHandler.axd" type="ClientDependency.Core.CompositeFiles.CompositeDependencyHandler, ClientDependency.Core" />
      <add name="MiniProfiler" path="mini-profiler-resources/*" verb="*" type="System.Web.Routing.UrlRoutingModule" resourceType="Unspecified" preCondition="integratedMode" />
    </handlers>

Aug 21, 2023 @ 16:25
    Aug 21, 2023 @ 17:00
    Jon Behrens

That worked. I also had to unlock the 'modules' section in the same way. However, I'm still not out of the woods. Now I get:

HTTP Error 401.2 - Unauthorized

You are not authorized to view this page due to invalid authentication headers.

Aug 21, 2023 @ 19:54
    Huw Reddick

Folder permissions maybe?

Aug 21, 2023 @ 20:27
    Jon Behrens

It turns out there is a very large body of discussion in StackOverflow on this subject. It apparently has to do with the applicationHost.config file located at %windir%\system32\inetsrv\config folder

Thanks very much for your help, it got me pointed in the right direction. Now I 'just' have to figure out the right settings for that config file. IOW it's not an Umbraco problem, it's an IIS problem.

BTW, if anyone has already figured this out, please post your solution.

• Markus Johansson 1914 posts 5761 karma points MVP c-trib
    Aug 22, 2023 @ 04:46
    Markus Johansson

Hi!

I’ve seen this error several times due to missing URL Rewrite module in IIS,

https://www.enkelmedia.se/blogg/2021/3/31/iis-http-error-500-19-with-umbraco-and-other-sites

Have you tried this?

Aug 22, 2023 @ 16:17
    Jon Behrens

Thank you Markus - that fixed it. BTW, The Web Platform Installer has been retired by MS. The Url Rewrite Module can be gotten directly at: https://www.iis.net/downloads/microsoft/url-rewrite

• Markus Johansson 1914 posts 5761 karma points MVP c-trib
    Aug 23, 2023 @ 09:15
    Markus Johansson

Great to hear! Thank you for the heads up about Web Platform Installer, I've updated the blog post with the link you provided.

Aug 22, 2023 @ 17:05
    Jon Behrens

How to run Umbraco on a Windows workstation.

Since I'm running Windows 10 on a virtual machine, this starts from a clean install.

In the Control Panel under Programs and Features, select Turn Windows Features on or off

• Select appropriate .NET Framework

• Select Internet Information Services

• Web Management Tools

• World Wide Web Services

Install the IIS URL Rewrite Module from the MS website

Launch the IIS Manager

• Create a new application pool '4.0 Classic'

• Set the user agent for that pool to NetworkService

• Point the Default website to the Umbraco file folder

Set file and folder permissions.

• Give IUSR and NetworkService necessary permissions

Launch the website.

You will get a 500.19 Config error

"This configuration section cannot be used at this path. This happens when the section is locked at a parent level. Locking is either by default (overrideModeDefault="Deny"), or set explicitly by a location tag with overrideMode="Deny" or the legacy allowOverride="false"."

At that point you should be able to browse your Umbraco website

Thanks again to Huw Reddick and Markus Johansson for their help

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft