Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Asembli 81 posts 255 karma points
    Aug 22, 2023 @ 08:08
    Asembli

Error changing existing field datatype

Hi,

Let's say that I have a field called backgroundColor in the editor, which is of type true/false, which determines whether the element is colored or not. The content is published and everything works fine. Then I want to change the field type to a selector where the user would choose between different colors. When I change the field everything is fine and correct. But when I go to edit the document, it reports an error (see picture) that it cannot parse the existing value. I assume that it has a boolean value stored from before and cannot map it to the selector. And this applies to any field I changed, here is just a concrete example.

I tried rebuilding several times, clearing the cache, restarting etc. but to no avail.

This was not the case in the V7 version. When I changed the field type, the old values were deleted, which is logical, but there was no error. Just new editor pops up.

Now I have to actually change the name of the field and lot of code(!).

Anyone else having issues with this? Is there any way to fix this from VS or is it ripe for a bug report?

enter image description here

Regards

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Aug 23, 2023 @ 09:47
    Marc Goodson

Hi Asembli

I'm wondering if you could make use of the EditorSendingContentNotificationHandler

https://docs.umbraco.com/umbraco-cms/reference/notifications/editormodel-notifications

To check the value for 0 and change it to the equivalent in the new list whenever it is opened in the backoffice

Or

whether this error is fired before that event occurs and in which case it remains an issue.

Previously in V7, it didn't wipe the stored data when a DataType changed, as you could change it then change it back and saved data would still be there, but I think perhaps, it just 'didn't error' when it tried to map the old value to a changed set of options, allowing the editor to update the value and save 'as if it had been blank'... or at least that's my recollection. Anyway that might be something worth reporting as an issue, eg what should be the desired behaviour in this scenario etc...

regards

Marc

Aug 28, 2023 @ 10:44
    Asembli

Hi, thanks for once - I mentioned the V7 because it never happened - but with the V10 constantly. Yes, I could solve this with custom events before saving, but I think it's too much work and the project wouldn't be able to afford it. But this happens all the time, as the initially defined fields are modified over time at the client's request. The problem is with the news, eg. if there are already 100 saved...

But I will do another test on a completely empty version and then raise an issue...

Regards

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Aug 28, 2023 @ 20:14
    Marc Goodson

Yeah, I think you want it to fail gracefully like it used to in V7! so the editors can update it accordingly.

The events/notifications in the meantime might give you a quick viable workaround.

regards

Marc

Aug 31, 2023 @ 04:51
    Asembli

Exactly Marc. Already raised an issue #14753.

Regards

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft