Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• dev-thandabantu 41 posts 321 karma points
    Aug 29, 2023 @ 06:28
    dev-thandabantu

Issue with Sharing Articles on Social Media Platforms: Images Not Displaying Correctly

Hello Umbraco community,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm encountering an issue related to sharing articles on social media platforms from an Umbraco 8.11.1-powered website. While the articles are structured with the correct meta tags and image URLs for social media sharing, I'm facing an inconsistency in how images are displayed when shared on platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.

Problem Description:

The HTML template for the articles includes relevant meta tags like og:image and twitter:image to provide metadata and image information for sharing. However, in certain scenarios, the images associated with the articles are not consistently displaying as expected. The issue seems to be related to how social media platforms index and cache the metadata and images.

enter image description here

enter image description here

Troubleshooting Done:

1. Verified the correctness of the meta tags and image URLs in the HTML template.
    2. Swapped working and non-working images to eliminate image files as the root cause.
    3. Compared the page sources of working and non-working posts, finding them structurally identical.
    4. Speculated about the impact of sitemap.xml and Robots.txt on indexing.

Possible Solutions Sought:

1. Any insights on how the metadata and image tags should be formatted for consistent sharing?

2. Could social media platforms treat staging websites differently in terms of indexing?

3. Is there a way to ensure that metadata is consistently retrieved by platforms without manual refreshing?

4. Would implementing sitemap.xml and Robots.txt improve indexing and metadata retrieval?

5. Has anyone experienced similar issues with Umbraco or other CMS platforms?

Thank you for your time and insights.

• Huw Reddick 1737 posts 6098 karma points MVP c-trib
    Aug 29, 2023 @ 12:56
  • Tarik Es 37 posts 169 karma points
    Sep 02, 2023 @ 16:22
    Tarik Es

You don't have the correct meta and og tags setup in the site. https://ogp.me/

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft