Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Emre 1 post 31 karma points
    Oct 12, 2023 @ 18:22
    Emre

Adding Property at Release

I've deployed my application on a website. The question I'd like to ask is whether I can add a property to a page on this website and immediately start using this field in HTML?

Or should I make these changes on my own computer and then redeploy the site?

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Oct 12, 2023 @ 19:35
    Marc Goodson

Hi Emre

It depends on a number of things!

In terms of how you've developed the site and how often you'll be updating it and if you work in a team, if it's hosted on umbraco cloud and if there is a multimillion pound website being powered that can't be down for a second!

A lot will depend on if you are using Modelsbuilder, this is baked into Umbraco and generates strongly typed models to represent yoyr Document Types in views, have a look in your appsetting to see if this is on and which mode it is running in, if you are using it and the mode is set to source code auto or source code manual, then a change to a property would need to be made locally and compiled and deployed to be able to use the property... But if the mode is I Memory, then you'll be able to use your new property straight away on the server... If you are not using modelsbuilder eg writing out properties like @Model.Value("someAlias") then you should also be able to use it straight away on the server.

But as soon as you start to do this, your local version of the site becomes out of sync, so at a later date if you are working on a new feature locally you can end up overwriting something you changed in production when you deploy...

So some people prefer to have the work flow of always working locally for changes and use a plugins called uSync to push Document Type changes along with code changes to the production site when the feature is tested and ready...

Regards

Marc

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft