Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• mauzilla 19 posts 90 karma points
    Oct 26, 2023 @ 12:00
    mauzilla

Custom button not showing in tinyMCE toolbar

Based on numerous posts about this, I have been dabbling with adding a custom button to the RTE. The button simply creates a

• Item
    into the editor.

The direction I have taken was to add a new "plugin" to www/umbraco/lib/tinymce/plugins/customlist/plugin.min.js:

tinymce.PluginManager.add('customlists', (editor, url) => {
        editor.ui.registry.addButton('customlist', {
            text: 'Custom List',
            onAction: () => {
                /* Open window */
                editor.insertContent('&nbsp;<ul class="custom-list"><li>item</li></ul>&nbsp;');
            }
    });
    /* Return the metadata for the help plugin */
    return {
        getMetadata: () => ({
            name: 'customlist',
            url: 'http://exampleplugindocsurl.com'
        })
    };
    });

This is based on the syntax from TinyMCE for the v6 of their editor. In my appsettings.json, I have added the below under the Umbraco.CMS namespace:

"RichTextEditor": {
      "Plugins": [
        "anchor",
        "charmap",
        "table",
        "customlist"
      ],
      "ValidElements": "+a[id|style|rel|data-id|data-udi|rev|charset|customlist|hreflang|dir|lang|tabindex|accesskey|type|name|href|target|title|class|onfocus|onblur|onclick|ondblclick|onmousedown|onmouseup|onmouseover|onmousemove|onmouseout|onkeypress|onkeydown|onkeyup],-strong/-b[class|style],-em/-i[class|style],-strike[class|style],-u[class|style],#p[id|style|dir|class|align]]",
      "InvalidElements": "font",
      "Commands": [
        {
          "Alias": "ace",
          "Name": "Source code editor",
          "Mode": "Insert"
        },
        {
          "Alias": "removeformat",
          "Name": "Remove format",
          "Mode": "Selection"
        },
        {
          "Alias": "paste",
          "Name": "Paste",
          "Mode": "All"
        },
        {
          "Alias": "customlist",
          "Name": "customlist",
          "Mode": "All"
        }
      ],
      "CustomConfig": {
        "Toolbar": "customlist"
      }
    },

In Umbraco, I have edited the document type > richtexteditor and I can see the "customlist" is available and selected. I have also added an alert("test") within the plugin.min.js in the plugin source code and can confirm the alert does fire (even within the tinymce.PluginManager.add('customlists', (editor, url) => {} call, so the plugin itself is definately loaded.

Problem however is that the button (or text rather) does not show within the toolbar. I suspect that I need to specify in which toolbar, but the base configuration in the appsettings.json does not have seem to look out for the toolbar property. I have added it to the CustomConfig namespace, but no difference.

Or, it could be my code, but I tested it in codepen and the Toolbar item does show, so I suspect it's down to the initialization part. Any ideas?

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Oct 29, 2023 @ 20:34
    Marc Goodson

Hi mauzilla

Looks like the fun starts here:

https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/blob/8e609af90168a7c5e088b30193266733269457ec/src/Umbraco.Web.UI.Client/src/common/services/tinymce.service.js#L350

I have had a similar thing before, but along time ago, tinymce4+Umbraco where my plugin didn't specify an icon, and so didn't appear...?

If you look at the way Umbraco do the custom Umbraco Plugins for TinyMce

https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/blob/8e609af90168a7c5e088b30193266733269457ec/src/Umbraco.Web.UI.Client/src/common/services/tinymce.service.js#L629

You can see

createMediaPicker: function (editor, callback) {
          editor.ui.registry.addButton('umbmediapicker', {
            icon: 'image',
            tooltip: 'Image Picker',
            stateSelector: 'img[data-udi]',
            onAction: function () {

they specify an icon... ?

regards

Marc

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to: