Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Zweben 266 posts 750 karma points
    Oct 31, 2023 @ 13:20
    David Zweben

Models builder: What's your preferred setup?

I'm interested to hear what setups people prefer for Models Builder.

We recently migrated our website from Umbraco Cloud to a standalone Azure App Service setup and uSync. There's been a few growing pains with it, and one thing we really haven't settled on yet is how we're syncing document types and using Models Builder. I'd like to hear how others use it, especially on multi-environment setups outside of Umbraco Cloud.

• Do you use Models Builder at all?
    • What Models Builder mode do you use?
    • Do you use the same mode on each environment?
    • Tangentially related, but what's your setup for syncing document types? Do you sync alongside push-to-deploy or as a separate step?
    • Do you run into any issues with models getting out of date or out of sync with what they should be?
    • Do you find Models Builder to be a net benefit?

We currently use Umbraco 12 with an Azure Local/Staging/Prod setup, and the "Source Code Manual" Models Builder mode on all environments. At the moment, it's feeling like Models Builder may be more trouble than it's worth. We've had some issues with Staging and Production getting out-of-date generated models synced over from local environments, and strangely even rebuilding models and restarting the environment hasn't fixed the issues. It may be an oddity related to deployment slot swaps, but I'm wondering if it's best to leave "Source Code Manual" on the local environments only (so we can get Intellisense for local development), and switch Staging and Production to "InMemoryAuto"?

What are your thoughts on the usage of Models Builder overall?

• Huw Reddick 1737 posts 6098 karma points MVP c-trib
    Oct 31, 2023 @ 14:46
    Huw Reddick

I don't usually enable Modelsbuilder in Staging or Production, all models are generated/edited in DEV and synced to Staging->Prod

• David Zweben 266 posts 750 karma points
    Oct 31, 2023 @ 16:46
    David Zweben

Interesting, so it's completely off on on staging and prod? How do you handle keeping the document types in-sync between environments?

• Huw Reddick 1737 posts 6098 karma points MVP c-trib
    Oct 31, 2023 @ 17:02
    Huw Reddick

document type changes are only made in DEV and then pushed to UAT/PROD

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft