Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mateusz Kotwica 29 posts 129 karma points
    Nov 24, 2023 @ 12:13
    Mateusz Kotwica

Custom indexes in ExamineManager

Hello,

I have an issue with ExamineManager and custom indexes. The application I am working on is quite old, so perhaps the implemented pattern here is not an ideal one, that is why I'd like to ask you for your opinion and advises how to resolve the issue.

First of all, some facts:

• the application bases on Umbraco v8.18.3
    • the application uses load balanced environment (1 CMS, up to 6 frontend instances)
    • application uses custom search indexes (elastic search) registered in the ExamineManager using a Umbraco Component (IComponent interface)

The issue I have:

• when completely new frontend instance is spun all the elastic search indexes are dropped off (searchable documents drops from around 600k to 0)

What I found:

• when there is no LastSyncId, Umbraco performs a cold boot, which means that all indexes registered in ExamineManager are cleared (Code)

The question:

It is clear to me that the issue is with registering custom indexes in the IComponent module during startup. It will be quite hard to refactor it, so the question is, is it somehow possible to add custom indexes once application is booted or to detect if RebuildOnStartupTask finished?

Any advice or best practices how to design ES integration with Umbraco v8 will be appreciated!

Thank you in advance for any input.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft