Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Roger Withnell 128 posts 613 karma points
    Dec 09, 2023 @ 19:23
    Roger Withnell

Can't launch IISExpress and umbracoSettings.config problem

I am using Windows server 2019 and IIS v10 and Umbraco 7.2.8. When I run Debug in Visual Studio (2022) the project builds successfully but then gives the message "unable to launch the IIS Express Web Server" and Debug hangs for ever. Target framework is 4.5. Using SSL with the development certificate but same error without the SSL.

However, if I open a browser and go to https://localhost, a server error occurs at the umbracoSettings.config file, saying that the element 'backOffice' element is unrecognised.

I am unable to access any websites on this instance of Umbraco nor the back office.

I would much appreciate your help.

• Brendan Rice 538 posts 1099 karma points
    Dec 11, 2023 @ 00:03
    Brendan Rice

Not 100% sure what's going on Roger but here's how I'd go about trying to figure it out:

1. Download the matching release (zip) from here
    2. Look at the config/umbracoSettings.config and compare it to what you have (I noticed there is no backOffice element in that release).
    3. Comment out the backOffice element. It sounds like it's the problem. What happens?
    4. If you still get errors, I'd create a new solution with the contents of the zip file you downloaded, point it at a copy of the old database and try log into the Umbraco admin. What happens?
    5. Check the Umbraco log files to see what if any errors are being logged.

Hope this helps a little.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft