Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sergioy 2 posts 82 karma points
    Jan 14, 2024 @ 14:42
    Sergioy

Develpment environment for several developers and one shared DB

I read that "each Umbraco instance requires its own database". Is it true? we are a team of several developers working on an application. We want to share an SQL database, however, we could not find in the documentation guidance on how to do it.

We work on Umbraco 10.8.3 on .NET 6.

• Luuk Peters 82 posts 322 karma points
    Jan 15, 2024 @ 10:22
    Luuk Peters

I would not recommend it. What is the benefit of what you are trying to accomplish? We develop with our own databases. You can locally all run SQL Lite and using unattended installation for automatically setup the database. I recommend uSync for syncing document types/templates/etc between developers.

• Sergioy 2 posts 82 karma points
    Jan 15, 2024 @ 12:23
    Sergioy

Hi Luuk, thanks for your response. Could you explain why it is not recommended that several developers work with Umbraco instances sharing tables in a single database?

• Luuk Peters 82 posts 322 karma points
    Jan 15, 2024 @ 12:34
    Luuk Peters

The most obvious one would be that it's really easy to override each others work. But also, if one person makes changes for a certain feature and update their code, it might crash the code of the other developers because they do not have that changed code yet.

You also don't have a history of changes in your source control, that's why we use uSync. These files are going into source control and can be tracked with their history. I can delete my local database, start Umbraco and it will recreate the database and fill it correctly using the uSync files.

Changes to Umbraco are also scoped to the feature it belongs to. So other developers only get the changes to Umbraco when they also get the changes to the code. And more importantly, if there are changes that conflict, they will surface during a pull request and can be fixed there.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft