Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• curtismccaw 27 posts 87 karma points
    Jan 25, 2024 @ 09:57
    curtismccaw

Block List - Vary by culture for languages

Hi, we have an English version of our site. We're looking to add more language variants. The site is built with a Block List.

After setting up the new languages and domain, the content in the block list appears to be shared across the sites - and any changes we make are being reflected across all languages.

We would like to use the same block list, but allow language variations on the blocks themselves. How can we set this up?

• Marc Love (uSkinned.net) 432 posts 1691 karma points
    Jan 25, 2024 @ 10:21
    Marc Love (uSkinned.net)

Hi,

Unfortunately the entire block list needs to be recreated for each language.

The copy tool can make this easier when translating. Create your block list content in your first language. Then move your mouse next to the block list label. You will see an option to copy all blocks. You can then paste this against your next language for translation.

enter image description here

Cheers,

Marc

Jan 25, 2024 @ 10:23
    curtismccaw

Hi Marc,

Thanks, thought that might be the case. Would you recommend setting up the sites individually then, rather than by using Vary by culture?

I tried what you had suggested, but it was still updating all references.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Jan 25, 2024 @ 10:26
    Marc Love (uSkinned.net)

Vary by culture is a good approach if your plan is to replicate the site content for each language.

Individual sites is better if each language will contain different pages and content.

What do you mean by "It was still updating all references"?

Jan 25, 2024 @ 10:28
    curtismccaw

Thanks for the quick response.

I might go for the individual site approach, I suspect the content will be different and might be better to manage it that way.

By "It was still updating all references" - I meant that I had copied the pagebuilder from my English version onto the chinese language variant, but it was still showing that it is shared across all languages. So any changes were being updated across the board.

If you have any recommendations, i'd greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks

Jan 25, 2024 @ 10:38
    Marc Love (uSkinned.net)

You will need to make sure that your Block List property is marked to "Vary by Culture" when configuring the Document Type that controls your page.

enter image description here

Jan 25, 2024 @ 10:51
    curtismccaw

Hi Marc,

That's great, that works well. Only part I missed. Knew it was something small.

Many thanks, Curtis

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft