Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Alexander Wagner 30 posts 159 karma points
    Jan 26, 2024 @ 12:53
    Alexander Wagner

Possible to migrate Our.Umbraco.DocTypeGridEditor to block grid?

Hi

We have three clients that uses DocTypeGridEditor (https://github.com/skttl/umbraco-doc-type-grid-editor) on their sites (upgraded from 8 to 11) and I'm wondering if someone has migrated that to block list, or block grid?

I've sen that uSync has a migration package for grid to block grid but I haven't had the time to try it out with DocTypeGridEditor-grids. Has anyone tried that with good results?

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Jan 27, 2024 @ 19:39
    Marc Goodson

Hi Alexander

Yes, have migrated several sites now from V7 to V10 and used uSync Migrations to migrate Old Grid with DTGE into the new Grid...

it works well... like magic really, but, the results aren't necessarily the same as if you designed the site from scratch with the new grid.

enter image description here

particularly the 'naming of things', but the main thing is it has gotten the sites migrated and there is a platform from which to continue to improve, and work with css grid to get the best out of new grid.

Also the Rick Butterfields' community BlockPreview package https://github.com/rickbutterfield/Umbraco.Community.BlockPreview makes the results more DTGE like!

regards

Marc

Jan 29, 2024 @ 06:13
    Alexander Wagner

Hi Marc

Awesome! Thank you for you reply. I'll test that out once I get the chance and good to know that it's not a cumbersome journey to migrate DTGE to the new grid.

• ws-graham 10 posts 91 karma points
    Mar 26, 2024 @ 14:19
    ws-graham

Hi Alexander,

Would be great to hear how you got on, i'm just pondering how we move DTGE content to the new Block Grid Editor and it would be amazing if uSync, or similar could do the job

Mar 26, 2024 @ 14:38
    Alexander Wagner

Hi Graham

It wasn't 100% straight forward but in the end I could migrate a multi-language site after ca two work days.

The largest problem I encountered was that usync sometimes forgot the culture on the migrated grid-property so I had to manually add those in the migration files. Without the culture the new block grid items wouldn't be imported for a certain page in a specific language.

enter image description here

The site I migrated wasn't that large, so it didn't take many hours to go through all files and double check that everything was correct but I can image that it's quite a hussle if you have a site that has hundreds of pages.

Other than that it was surprisingly smooth to convert old grid to new grid block.

• ws-graham 10 posts 91 karma points
    Mar 26, 2024 @ 14:50
    ws-graham

Hi Alexander,

That's good news then. I'm working initially on a site with lots of pages, but a single language setup so hopefully being able to side-step that it might not be as bad as I thought.

I really appreciate the insight - many thanks!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft