Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ken 3 posts 23 karma points
    Feb 20, 2024 @ 22:56
    Ken

How to move from development environment to productive server?

I need to know how to properly move from the development environment into a production server environment - hosted in a webfarm.

Here is what I attempted: 1: Task>Generate Scripts> Selected Objects All Tables etc. > Advanced Check to make complete schema & data , triggers, sp's etc.. almost everything to true - except things like converting types . 2: Publish the website from VS2019 . The site installs and comes up but it is either like a new site with nothing or I get cant find content with Id blah blah.

So obviously something is missing in this process but what I do not know - I would prefer to develop locally and publish to the remote web when I am happy with my development. Can someone explain to me what I am doing wrong? I have done this process before with other CMS packages and it has never been such a horrendous issue .

• Owain Jones 55 posts 384 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Feb 23, 2024 @ 12:49
    Owain Jones

Hi Ken,

If I understand correctly you are:

1. Deploying Umbraco using Visual Studio publish - Sounds like this is working correctly?

2. Creating a copy of your development database and deploying it as a production database - Sounds like this step isn't working correctly?

Is that right?

If so, the way I usually duplicate a database is by using SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio), I right-click the database, I want to copy, and select Tasks > Export Data-tier Application.

This will export a .bacpac file. enter image description here

I can then right-click the SQL server, I want to import this into, and select import > Import Data-tier Application to import the database.

Alternatively, if you already have a production database, and you simply want to update it (e.g. you've updated DocTypes etc...)

Then I would highly recommend using a package called uSync, which can export/import DocTypes, MediaTypes, DataTypes, and Content, it does this by generating XML representations of them.

This is what I use for syncing DocType changes between my client's dev, test, preprod, and production databases.

uSync Umbraco 8: https://our.umbraco.com/packages/developer-tools/usync/

uSync Umbraco 9+: https://marketplace.umbraco.com/package/usync

I hope this helps, but please let me know if I completely missed the mark and misunderstood your issue!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft