Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Julius Goddard 38 posts 149 karma points
    Feb 23, 2024 @ 15:49
    Julius Goddard

A connection string is configured but Umbraco could not connect to the database.

I am trying to connect to a local database using a simple Umbraco v8 project but am unable to due to the error:

Boot failed: Umbraco cannot run. See Umbraco's log file for more details.

-> Umbraco.Core.Exceptions.BootFailedException: A connection string is configured but Umbraco could not connect to the database.
      at Umbraco.Core.RuntimeState.DetermineRuntimeLevel(IUmbracoDatabaseFactory databaseFactory, ILogger logger) in d:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Core\RuntimeState.cs:line 194
      at Umbraco.Core.Runtime.CoreRuntime.DetermineRuntimeLevel(IUmbracoDatabaseFactory databaseFactory, IProfilingLogger profilingLogger) in d:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Core\Runtime\CoreRuntime.cs:line 290
      at Umbraco.Core.Runtime.CoreRuntime.Boot(IRegister register, DisposableTimer timer) in d:\a\1\s\src\Umbraco.Core\Runtime\CoreRuntime.cs:line 169

I have used a fair few connection strings in the Web.config file: the most recent being:

<add name="umbracoDbDSN" connectionString="Server=xxxxxxx; Database=Docs; user id=Docs; password=1234567890" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

Is there anything wrong with the syntax above - I have tried about 50 other combinations of Connection string and none have worked.

and yes... Windows and SQL Authentication mode box has been ticked.

Thanks

• Simon Napper 84 posts 254 karma points
    Feb 23, 2024 @ 16:05
    Simon Napper

Hi Julius,

I think you left your example connection string out of your post...

Simon

Feb 23, 2024 @ 16:09
    Julius Goddard

thanks for letting me know - post edited

Feb 23, 2024 @ 16:23
    Simon Napper

I'm sure it's not this, but it's not something simple like the server name in your connection string is it?

I'm assuming you're using SQL Server? Sometimes local servers can get a bit funky with the naming and you need something like servername\instancename to connect.

Feb 26, 2024 @ 08:08
    Julius Goddard

I've checked - this is what the server name looks like in SSMS: enter image description here

And this is what I have on my connection string exactly:

connectionString="Server=80D-LWIN-114\SQLEXPRESS02; Database=Docs; user id=Docs; password=1234567890"

I can't spot any error - can anyone else?

Feb 26, 2024 @ 08:30
    Simon Napper

If you use those credentials in SQL Server Management Studio, can you access the database ok? Does you're sql account have db owner set for that db?

Feb 26, 2024 @ 09:09
    Julius Goddard

Yes I can access the database, and I did set the owner of the database while I was setting it up

Feb 26, 2024 @ 14:11
    Julius Goddard

Turning off Firewall resolved the issue.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft