Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jason D 66 posts 218 karma points
    Mar 26, 2024 @ 22:30
    Jason D

Azure Scale-Out and Load Balancing Conundrum

Hi there. So I know that it's good practice to have more than one instance in Azure (app service) so that if Azure does any upgrading/etc, there's another instance to pick up.

However, when revisiting Load Balancing according to Umbraco, the back-office should not be behind the Load Balancer. I understand the "why", but then doesn't that mean that the Back-Office is susceptible to the same Azure recommended 2 or more instance recommendation?

Edited to add: It looks like the Back-Office goes on a server and not an azure app. So, if I'm understanding correctly, it would be that the server to be managed by owner, and not by Azure.

The Umbraco documentation image, is misleading, as it doesn't match that the Back-Office server should not be behind the server, etc. See below.

enter image description here  

Thanks, Jason

• Jeavon Leopold 3072 posts 13628 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 27, 2024 @ 13:55
    Jeavon Leopold

Hi Jason,

You can have the back-office hosted on a single instance web app. However you are right that this single instance back-office Azure web app will get the recommendation that it should be multi-instance and zone redundant, you have to ignore Azure as it's not supported by Umbraco.

Your front-end web app can be multi-instance and zone redundant which is generally more important to not be affected by Azure host migrations, upgrades etc...

Jeavon

• Jason D 66 posts 218 karma points
    Mar 27, 2024 @ 21:12
    Jason D

Thank you Jeavon, that's exactly what I was needing to confirm.

I didn't think about how it's the back-office, so not quite as problematic if it's unavailable for a few minutes.

Jason

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft