Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt Kennedy 2 posts 72 karma points
    Mar 28, 2024 @ 02:18
    Matt Kennedy

Changes made to a Partial aren't showing up on the live website

Hi, very new to Umbraco here.

Summary:
    I made a small change to the _MetaData.cshtml file. The change is showing up on admin.[website].com, but not on www.[website].com.

Explanation:
    We were hired to update a client's SEO metadata, but I discovered I needed to make a change to how the <title> tag was being filled in.

I looked around the backend and found the /Views/Partials/_MetaData.cshtml file under the Settings > Partial Views folder. I saw how the code was filling in the <title> tag and updated it as needed.

The issue comes from my lack of understanding in the basics of how Umbraco works.

For some reason, there are 2 URLs for the website: admin.[website].com and www.[website].com. Normally I would assume you would have to be logged in before you can see "admin", but I'm able to view the website at that URL while not logged in, even on incognito view. Is this a default system of Umbraco websites, maybe a custom add-on or something, or just a peculiarity of this client's website?

Either way, the change I made to the <title> tag is visible on "admin", but not on "www". Is there some sort of caching I need to clear before the change is visible? Any searches I made looking for the answer returned results that were either not useful or aimed at people that are already familiar with the inner workings of Umbraco.

Any help is appreciated.

• Marcio Goularte 374 posts 1346 karma points
    Mar 28, 2024 @ 12:10
    Marcio Goularte

Hi Matt,

Umbraco it is possible to configure multiple hostnames. Normally this was done to create websites in different languages until the variants feature arrived. However, it is still possible to make these hostname settings

https://docs.umbraco.com/umbraco-cms/tutorials/multisite-setup#mapping-the-hostnames-to-individual-websites-root-nodes

But I understand, you have 2 hostnames on the same content node and the content displayed is in accordance with being logged in and the hostnames. Are you using Umbraco member authentication?

If so, I believe that the configuration you should do is the authentication cookie per domain. However, I believe you have to do some implementation in the partialview, validating the hostname and doing what you want.

• Matt Kennedy 2 posts 72 karma points
    24 days ago
    Matt Kennedy

Thank you for your reply.

I unfortunately don't know enough about Umbraco to be able to answer your question.

However, I was able to get in touch with the company that built the website and it turns out they have a specific process of making the changes on a staging site and then pushing the change to make it visible on the live site.

I don't know the specific verbiage to describe what is happening, but basically the "admin" of the live site is somehow separate from the "code" of the live site. When I was making changes to the template files in the live admin, it actually wasn't impacting the code the live site is using.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft