Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Meni 247 posts 483 karma points
    23 days ago
    Meni

Is Umbraco 14 will enable to integrate Angular / Typescript code in the website?

It says that Umbraco 14 is built on Typescript

Will I be enable to integrate Angular components / Typescript within website ?

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    22 days ago
    Marc Goodson

Hi Meni

Yes, on the front end of your website you can use whatever technology you prefer to build the site.

The change in V14 is to how the Umbraco Backoffice is built.

So if you want to build a custom property editor or dashboard to extend the backoffice of Umbraco to provide a different way for your editors to edit content, then the change is previously that extension would need to be written with an ancient version of angularJS.

With V14, this extension of the Umbraco backoffice will be native browser Web Components, and will be independent of any front end framework.

Alot of the examples and tutorials show how you can use Typescript with LIT to define these extensions, but it's perfectly possible to do it with just plain old vanilla javascript too... and if you want to use a front end framework such as Angular or React, then you would be able to bundled that into your backoffice and use that to extend Umbraco, but at this early stage, most of the examples I've seen use Typescript and Lit, but it's not a limitation of adopting web standards.

There are now some BETA docs for V14

https://docs.umbraco.com/umbraco-cms/v/14.latest-beta

and these illustrate quite well what is changing in the backoffice and the fashion that it can now be extended.

https://docs.umbraco.com/umbraco-cms/v/14.latest-beta/extending-backoffice/customize-backoffice

But if you are not extending Umbraco and you are talking about what you can use to implement the website front end then you can use anything, Umbraco doesn't get in the way or force you to use one front-end technology or another!

regards

Marc

21 days ago
    Meni

Hi Marc, thanks for the detailed answer. Things are now clear.

Just one comment / question about implementing my website front end - is it possible to use Angular 2+ in the website? How can I embed the angular app in the front end?

What I'm thinking to do is to create an independent Angular 17 app and just put a url to this in the nav menu, so pretty much the user redirect to Angular website.

This was also my other question that I asked before in the Forum, of how to allow navigate to external url ? It was possible in Umbraco 7, I could declare the external paths in the web.config, not sure how to do it in Umbraco 13 though

• Yakov Lebski 554 posts 2119 karma points
    21 days ago
    Yakov Lebski

In umbraco 13 it easierm you need just disable website midleware and use delivery API to revcieve data

u.UseWebsite();

21 days ago
    Meni

?

didn't understand the use of

u.UseWebsite();

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft