Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Osman Coskun 170 posts 404 karma points
    May 10, 2024 @ 07:43
    Osman Coskun

Unable to delete or update media item on production hosting environment

Hi there,

I usually develop locally with minimum number of media items and content. Then deploy to a staging site on the same server that will host the final site. I integrate content and media on staging site. I copy the site files to production hosting environment, I set the folder permissions, and site works as expected.

On an Umbraco 13.3.0 web site i followed the above routine, the site works, i can create new media items, update newly created items on production site.

The problem evolves when i try to modify the media items that were added to site on staging server and copied to the production environment: When i try to change media item i get the error attached.

enter image description here

When i check the logs i can not find a log entry related with the issue. But i noticed an error log as "An exception was thrown while deserializing the token." with the content as attached:

I wondered if the media problem is related with "An exception was thrown while deserializing the token." error.

Thanks in advance.

• Justin Neville 24 posts 198 karma points c-trib
    May 10, 2024 @ 08:08
    Justin Neville

That sounds like a permissions problem. Have you se the correct file permissions or can you ask the hosting provider to do this?

https://docs.umbraco.com/umbraco-cms/fundamentals/setup/server-setup/permissions

May 10, 2024 @ 08:13
    Osman Coskun

I can create new media items and modify them. The problem occurs for the media items that were copied from staging environment. Let me double check the folder permissions.

Thanks Justin.

• Justin Neville 24 posts 198 karma points c-trib
    May 10, 2024 @ 08:15
    Justin Neville

It could be individual file permissions if they were files copied from another environment. Perhaps they have retained the old permissions. Without knowing what hosting you are using or how you copied them across it's difficult to know...

May 10, 2024 @ 08:20
    Osman Coskun

The site is on a dedicated server, i'll check permissions connecting directly via remote desktop. Thank you.

• Huw Reddick 1875 posts 6421 karma points MVP 2x c-trib
    May 10, 2024 @ 08:23
    Huw Reddick

Make sure permissions are set to inherit, otherwise when copied over they will not necesarily pick up the correct permissions

May 11, 2024 @ 03:33
    Osman Coskun

I found out that the hosting control panel didn't set folder permission on "the copied" files and folders.

After by trial and error i found that when i give modify permission to Users as attached below i can modify or delete media files.

Is it safe to give the permission to Users?

May 11, 2024 @ 06:39
    Huw Reddick

I wouldn't give the permission to the Users account TBH. It should be either the IUsr, network service or the App pool account that needs those permissions

May 13, 2024 @ 06:51
    Osman Coskun

Network service and App pool permissions work for the newly created media items. Umbraco can't modify the media items migrated from staging site unless Users account has modify permission.

May 13, 2024 @ 07:34
    Huw Reddick

That sounds like the permissions are not set to inherit from parent

May 21, 2024 @ 06:45
    Osman Coskun

Checked but couldn't find an other solution. Thank you.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft