Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Zartosht 2 posts 22 karma points
    May 17, 2024 @ 11:40
    Zartosht

Migrating a Umbraco site from version 4 to latest and cloud, for a complete beginner.

So, the situation is that I have this site which contains mostly document and text data, which runs on Umbraco version 4. Now they want to update and migrate to the latest version and to the cloud. And one of the owners have asked me to see if I can crack it. I have never used Umbraco before at all, isn't generally very well-versed in .NET dev or SQL, Azure. I have standard programming experience. Should I decline this offer? I would most likely not be by myself on this, so I wouldn't have to do it all. And apparently they are suppose to migrate this site into a template which, apparently, relieve me of any real dev-work, and more "drag and drop". Again, the site itself isn't that complicated, mostly links to pdf-files, text and pictures.

I have good background in Java, Python, C++, Git, Windows and general know-how of computers.

• Yakov Lebski 581 posts 2249 karma points
    May 17, 2024 @ 17:23
    Yakov Lebski

it is depends on how site is big and what kind of fields was in use. In case of small site the simple way to develop it from scratch.

• Zartosht 2 posts 22 karma points
    May 17, 2024 @ 19:14
    Zartosht

I would say it has mostly basic fields, like text, image, embedded google maps, embedded search engine. Header with menu options, footer. No stored members or signups. I would say the different types of fields is small. But there are many pages, all with mostly text and mainly links to pdf-downloads. Again, it's mainly the infrastructure behind it that I'm most unsure about. Like, what ISS is for example? Never used it in Visual studio or git before. But as forementioned, they (there is someone responsible for the site) were to use a template, which apprently would be easy to migrate to.

• Yakov Lebski 581 posts 2249 karma points
    May 18, 2024 @ 01:42
    Yakov Lebski

sound like corporate web site, if it's not you your area of expertise , may be you need somebody who doing it for every day, at least for main migration and after you can take responsibility?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft