Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Martin Rud 255 posts 986 karma points c-trib
    May 18, 2024 @ 07:55
    Martin Rud

Starting an Umbraco Cloud Project with Pre-configured Baseline Setup

Hi forum,

I have a baseline project on my local dev machine containing basis document types, datatypes, templates, views, appSettings, helper classes installed packages and so on.

I have installed it like this (ish):

dotnet new -i Umbraco.Templates::13.3.0
    dotnet new umbraco -n "MyProject"
    dotnet run --project "MyProject"

How can I start an Umbraco Cloud project where I get all this as my starting point? I have tried uSync before (and it works), but as I remember Umbraco Cloud Support told me that it was not the way to go since it can collide with Umbraco Clouds way on moving data between environments.

• Abdulaziz 18 posts 201 karma points admin hq c-trib
    May 20, 2024 @ 08:18
    Abdulaziz

Hi Martin

So you are using Umbraco cloud?

If so I would first create a cloud project, after it has been created, clone it down and then apply what you want to apply, and then push it up to Cloud.

When you have all the base templates and configuration on the cloud project you can simply just go and create a new project and choose the option Umbraco Baseline, when you have chosen that, you'd be able to choose the project you want to make a copy of and it creates a child.

This child project can be unlinked so that it is its own project, or it can just stay as is and you'd be able to make changes on the baseline project and then push those changes to the child.

Please read more here https://docs.umbraco.com/umbraco-cloud/getting-started/baselines

May 21, 2024 @ 07:51
    Martin Rud

No, I am not using Umbraco Cloud for my baseline. I think I have explained myself unclearly 😊

75% of my Umbraco projects are hosted other places than on Umbraco cloud, and therefore I have created my baseline project on a "plain" Umbraco project which I just develop and run locally.

That means I have created and installed the site like this:

dotnet new -i Umbraco.Templates::13.3.0
    dotnet new umbraco -n "MyProject"
    dotnet run --project "MyProject"

From this blank solution I have made document types, data types, content, installed packages and more.

For non Umbraco Cloud I can just copy all files from my baseline project and the run the site and develop it further.

But for an Umbraco Cloud I must clone the Umbraco Cloud repository. And then my question is: Can I somehow at this point (with a fresh Umbraco Cloud installation) import document types and data types?

(content, packages and other stuff is not important as I can quickly create/install them manually)

I have used uSync to do it, but I am not sure if that is a good idea. Umbraco Cloud support once mentioned that uSync is not compatible with Umbraco Cloud.

But maybe itΒ΄s ok to use uSync as long as I only do an initial import when my Umbraco Cloud project is fresh and empty? That's my question.

May 26, 2024 @ 09:00
    Abdulaziz

I would actually use the import-export feature but that then requires Umbraco deploy πŸ˜…

If the above is not possible I'd go ahead and follow the Migrating an Existing site guide: https://docs.umbraco.com/umbraco-cloud/getting-started/migrate-existing-site that should do it

Hope that clears out things 😁

May 26, 2024 @ 12:22
    Martin Rud

Thanks. That sounds like the right approach. 😊

May 27, 2024 @ 22:44
    Abdulaziz

Awesome Martin πŸ™Œ

Happy coding :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to: