Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Lee M. Childress 16 posts 96 karma points
    May 31, 2024 @ 20:35
    Lee M. Childress

Umbraco 13 -> 14

I downloaded Umbraco 13 a few weeks ago (my first time working with this CMS) and I see v14 has been released. Since I am early into the development stages I'd rather upgrade now while the project is in its infancy.

I followed the instructions I have found online to upgrade through Visual Studio and when I do so, everything appears to go well and I do not receive any errors. However, when I go to the command line and type dotnet run (I've tried with dotnet build / dotnet run as well) I get the following error:

C:\Umbraco Projects\MyProject\Program.cs(23,11): error CS1061: 'IUmbracoEndpointBuilderContext' does not cont
    ain a definition for 'UseInstallerEndpoints' and no accessible extension method 'UseInstallerEndpoints' accepting a fir
    st argument of type 'IUmbracoEndpointBuilderContext' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly r
    eference?) [C:\Umbraco Projects\MyProject\MyProject.csproj]

What am I doing wrong?

• Bishal Tim 22 posts 111 karma points c-trib
    Jun 01, 2024 @ 12:44
    Bishal Tim

hey @Lee M. Childress

Modify Your Code

The error message suggests that UseInstallerEndpoints is not recognized in the context of IUmbracoEndpointBuilderContext. This might be due to a change or removal in Umbraco 14.

Open your Program.cs file and locate the line with UseInstallerEndpoints. Replace or modify this line according to the new API in Umbraco 14. For instance, if UseInstallerEndpoints has been replaced or moved, you might need to find the new method or configuration approach.

it should look like: enter image description here

or you could just follow this installation guide and create a fresh project, umbraco setup Good luck

Jun 01, 2024 @ 15:05
    Lee M. Childress

Thank you so much for the input. Does anyone know if I were to do a clean install with Umbraco 14 if my current DB based on 13 would work?

• Nik 1608 posts 7234 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Jun 03, 2024 @ 08:23
    Nik

Hi Lee,

Okay, so it's super cool that you are using Umbraco and that you want to use Umbraco 14.

However, I would advise having a read up on the changes that come with Umbraco v14 as it has had a major overhaul of the technology and approach used for the back office of the CMS. As a results, you might find that there are packages that you can't use (a lot currently don't support v14).

V14 is also a STS version (Short Term Support), where as v13 is an LTS (Long Term Support) version, which means your v14 site will be out of support before it would have been if built on v13. There are also quite a lot of known issues on v14 which might impact your development process and add unnecessary frustration.

All that being said, v14 is being actively developed and the known issues will (most likely) be addressed over the coming weeks with patch updates so if you want to be on the cutting edge of the Umbraco eco-sphere stick with 14.

Regarding your actual question about the databases, the short answer "should" be yes, but I've not tested it and it would depend if you used data types that are obsolete and have since been removed in v14 as to whether the database will "just work".

I hope that helps.

Thanks Nik

Jun 03, 2024 @ 11:46
    Lee M. Childress

Thank you Nik. If 14 isn't LTS I'll take your advise and just continue working with 13 for now. Thank you for your assistance.

• james whittington 19 posts 119 karma points c-trib
    Jun 04, 2024 @ 01:42
    james whittington

Depending on the scope of your project starting on v13 could be quite annoying later.

https://docs.umbraco.com/umbraco-cms/fundamentals/setup/upgrading/version-specific#umbraco-14

This is the upgrade guide for 13 to 14, and to upgrade in the future will mean you need to do this. If you're going to implement anything that requires AngularJS (back office customisations, or custom plugins) then you should be aware that version 14's back office no longer uses AngularJS, so all this work could be a waste.

The api surface also looks to have changed a bit too, so if you're planning to upgrade later, make sure you understand the changes you will be making and plan ahead.

If the plugins you need don't have v14 updates yet, that is a good reason to stay on 13 however make sure they are still supported. I am in the process now of making sure that the plugins I choose to use have a v14 roadmaps in place.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft