Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Steve Brereton 29 posts 170 karma points
    Jun 17, 2024 @ 10:43
    Steve Brereton

How long should the database update take when running the 8.x from 7.15+ upgrade?

I've been running the version update for about three hours, and SQL Profiler is filled with endless 'update cmsPropertyData SET version ID2=@1' entries.

• Simon Napper 113 posts 347 karma points
    Jun 18, 2024 @ 11:40
    Simon Napper

Good question! It's quite speclative as it depends on things like how many datatypes and doc types you have, as well as the amount of content and media in the site. It'll also be subjective on the spec of the machine you're running it on.

Is it a particularly large site?

Jun 18, 2024 @ 13:28
    Steve Brereton

Hi

This is our test system which is a copy of at least parts of our live system, but I wouldn't know how to measure the size.

I'm rerunning the upgrade two or three times a day at the moment to see if I can spot anything. SQL profiler shows cmsPropertyData values slowly scrolling up to 70000?

• Simon Napper 113 posts 347 karma points
    Jun 18, 2024 @ 14:16
    Simon Napper

It's hard to say without knowing more about your existing v7 and how much content you have and how long it's been used for tbh. You could try installing something like FALM housekeeping to minimize what you're porting over to v8. Thinks like old versions of content as they are probably being upgraded to be compatible with v8?

You could also give the database the once over and do things like rebuilding the indexes, etc to see if that speeds it up?

Jun 18, 2024 @ 14:26
    Steve Brereton

We've had it for several years but its not been used for some time. I'll have a look at FALM and the indexes once the current pass has finished. The database is just under a GB in size - in fact the 'upgrade' copy is about 1.5Gb at present. The whole site is just over 4Gb as a zip.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft