Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• zimmertyzim 15 posts 105 karma points
    Jun 25, 2024 @ 15:52
    zimmertyzim

What's the best approach to virus scan a file upload via Umbraco Forms?

It's all in the title really.

One of our clients has asked about this. They've setup some Umbraco Forms and workflows, that accept a file upload. They'd like this so be scanned by an AV service and potentially rejected/accepted.

What's the best way of going about this?

• Darren Hunter 121 posts 213 karma points
    Jun 26, 2024 @ 14:28
    Darren Hunter

I think you need to implement your own code to handle virus scanning and rejection. As much as I am aware there is no direct av integration.

Jun 27, 2024 @ 10:44
    zimmertyzim

Thanks -- I figured as much.

I probably should have been more clear. I was wondering more about the overall workflow/process.

Can I hijack the Umbraco Forms file upload, process the file (AV scan etc.) then return it back to Umbraco Forms to finish whatever workflow is setup etc.

• Huw Reddick 1920 posts 6648 karma points MVP 2x c-trib
    Jun 29, 2024 @ 15:25
    Huw Reddick

You can create custom workflow for Umbraco forms and add it to your form, some documentation is here - https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Add-ons/UmbracoForms/Developer/Extending/Adding-a-Workflowtype

you may also be able to do it by hijacking the form post controller

@using (Html.BeginUmbracoForm<Umbraco.Forms.Web.Controllers.UmbracoFormsController>("HandleForm"))

• Stephen 26 posts 148 karma points
    25 days ago
    Stephen

What did you end up settling on, zimmertyzim? I'm looking into the same problem, and whether a custom workflow or Umbraco's FileStreamSecurityValidator could be used in conjunction with something like the VirusTotal API or a self-hosted solution like ClamAV.

25 days ago
    zimmertyzim

The client put it on hold in the end, but for what it's worth, ClamAV is what I was leaning towards. I did see FileStreamSecurityValidator, just wasn't sure about tying it into UmbarcoForms.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft