Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Martin Rud 256 posts 987 karma points c-trib
    Jul 09, 2024 @ 07:55
    Martin Rud

Free alternative to Moriyama.PreviewPDF for creating PDF thumbnail?

I want to make a thumbnail of page 1 when a PDF file is uploaded to Umbraco backend.

The package Moriyama.PreviewPDF (https://marketplace.umbraco.com/package/moriyama.previewpdf.abcpdf) requires licenses for either ABCpdf or IronPDF (or using Ghostscript, but that's not available at my hosting provider).

Are there alternatives?

• Nik 1608 posts 7234 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Jul 09, 2024 @ 14:42
    Nik

Hi Martin,

The Moriyama.PreviewPDF package is open source so you could use that as a base but possibly wire in QuestPDF - I don't know what it's licensing model looks like so you'd have to investigate that. I'm also not sure how capable it is of generating the thumbnail, all I know is that it has the option of generating images:

https://www.questpdf.com/concepts/generating-output.html

When Moriyama made the package, I know that we only found limited PDF processing packages that could easily generate the images, but we are open to PR's to improve the package if you find a good alternative :-)

Thanks

Nik

Jul 09, 2024 @ 18:51
    Martin Rud

Thanks. :)

I have tried QuestPDF, but ended up finding out that it is used for creating, not opening or processing PDF's, so it is not a solution for my task as I can see.

• Yakov Lebski 584 posts 2313 karma points
    Jul 09, 2024 @ 18:11
    Jul 09, 2024 @ 18:53
    Martin Rud

Thanks. Unfortunately I get error when trying to install:

error: There are no versions available for the package 'ImageSharp.Community.Formats.Pdf'.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft