Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Liam Dilley 167 posts 397 karma points
    Aug 13, 2024 @ 00:25
    Liam Dilley

Umbraco 14 is not ready

I really appreciate how rapid the development on Umbraco is. It has been a little frustrating at times with such rapid big changes, especially for anyone developing packages and solutions but you can not question the work and roadmap.

With 14 I really love the concepts with the building block changes and the huge work on switching the back office away from the older Angular implementation.

This being said 14 for me is far from ready to have had a full release. Outside of the missing features the amount of bugs that exist are really to much and there should have been more time baking in the oven.

There have also been a number of changes like in the backoffice with little to no time or thought on the effects these would have. Just on a small scale you used to be able to get your Node ID from the info panel a long time ago. That went but you could get your Node ID via the URL. Now that is also gone as well. Only GUID remains. The login with the popup now when you logout is one extra click and is also causing issues because a number of browser setups and plugins stop the popup from firing. There was nothing wrong with the new approach in 13.

On a bigger front I seem to be not the only one noting the issues with the API side.

Again, with such changes none of these things are a surprise really but this should have had at least a few months in some beta form before releasing and I see a number of package developers having a lot of headaches and feel for them :(

• Huw Reddick 1929 posts 6697 karma points MVP 2x c-trib
    Aug 13, 2024 @ 12:28
    Huw Reddick

I guess it depends on your definition of ready. I will agree migrating all my packages is currently a big headache, but no more so than when i first created them in angularjs, that was also a steep learning experience for me.

Is it ready enough to migrate existing < 14 sites? No probably not.

Is it ready to start a new project with? Apart from a few niggles, I would say yes.

I managed to update my personal website to 14 with the help of uSync and some manual tweaking.

Aug 13, 2024 @ 23:45
    Liam Dilley

Look, we are all in the industry so you have to go into production at some point. Totally get you. But just in the short time I have reviewed 14 as the lead dev to see where we at with the projects we build for it.. I just kept finding more and more bugs. Not just things different from 13, just a lot of stuff not working. I guess it depends on the size of the projects you may be doing but when a number of content creation use cases wont save, changes to document types and other elements in the back office wont save, when you get several errors in the back office in just 45 minutes, when API calls with documentation is not outputting the expected results... It's not ready.

• Dan 12 posts 81 karma points
    19 hours ago
    Dan

I agree whole heartedly. I'm setting up a new project for a client. I don't have the additional pain of migrating. With a fresh install, the backoffice is broken. Like you said, it's not just a matter of things being different. Things just flat out don't work. A major feature that is completely broken is the ability to use inline editing. There are MAJOR issues with inline editing.

• Vitaly Vasilega 65 posts 187 karma points
    17 hours ago
    Vitaly Vasilega

I will not pass by and will also say a few words.

In the past, I developed several packages for Umbraco when I was working with the 7.x version. Then my vector changed.

Recently, I just decided to check how Umbraco was doing and when I saw that the programmers had finally abandoned AngularJS, I was very pleased.

I spent a week studying Lit + Vite, but when I started rewriting plugins, I realized that unpleasant surprises were waiting for me at every step.

There is documentation, but it is too fragmented to understand how to start development. You need a competent bootcamp that will tell us about all the little things to start development.

The only one who tried to put it all together and explain it was Kevin Jump and his collection of articles on the subject. But it wasn't supposed to be Kevin, it was supposed the Umbraco team. Kavin you are the best!!! IMHO

The documentation on the site is in a deplorable state.

Some key things are closed and you have to either copy them or invent them yourself. For example, sending a request from the backoffice to the server. For some reason, this part was not exported for use. The same Kevin, just copied almost everything from the Umbraco sources. This is strange.

I guess I have to wait 6 months for the team to stabilize everything, but I'm afraid I won't be back. ))

Thanks

10 hours ago
    Liam Dilley

Even now a lot of things are broken or not as they were in 13. It is the package side that was frustrating. The wealth of the package community at 7 was huge and 8 caused a big drop off with many not updating. Overtime this got better but it was not as it was. With the move to the newer .NET (Core) and yet another change required for packages everyone had to re-do yet again but starting from around V10 we started to see things pick up again.

When it comes 14 with the backoffice changes causing yet more restarts for developers it is yet another drop off and developers struggling, As Vitaly pointed out the community trying to help itself but little from Umbraco.

You got to pull the trigger at some point on work, we all do it and fix when you get real world data and feedback but you got to be ready to act on that quickly as well. 14 was undercooked, still is so but has a wealth of bugs and issues. You still can not do some critical things in the backoffice due to bugs on 14.

As Vitaly has said, at this point of time people really need to stick on 13 for at least 6 more months.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft