Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Daan Stolp 4 posts 83 karma points
    Sep 04, 2024 @ 10:47
    Daan Stolp

Why are child items showing in the content tree, even though the parent is a Collection?

I am building a new Umbraco 14 website and I'm setting up a simple parent/child structure for news articles, following the steps from the docs:

• News (parent)
      • News Item 1 (child)
      • News Item 2 (child)
      • Etc...

I have configured the News parent DocumentType as a collection. The parent does show the collection List View, but all News Item articles are also showing up in the Content Tree.

My understanding (and experience from previous versions of Umbraco) is that these child items are not visible in the tree, precisely because the parent is configured as a collection.

Is this a new (undocumented?) feature of Umbraco, that the Child items are always showing? Or is there some setting that I have missed to prevent the Child items from showing in the Content Tree?

• Huw Reddick 1929 posts 6697 karma points MVP 2x c-trib
    Sep 05, 2024 @ 23:11
    Huw Reddick

I believe this is currently how it is supposed to work in 14. Not sure if there are plans to change back to the old way or not

• Daan Stolp 4 posts 83 karma points
    Sep 06, 2024 @ 12:22
    Daan Stolp

Thanks Huw! I've done some more digging and according to this GitHub issue, you are indeed correct; this is the new intended behavior.

I was thrown off even more by the fact that the UI had not been updated for a while (as mentioned in this issue), so the hint label in the Backoffice kept suggesting that the Children would not be shown in the tree. This label has been adjusted in recent versions. Backoffice showing the misleading label

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft