Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter 89 posts 160 karma points
    Oct 25, 2013 @ 13:56
    Peter

What is /umbraco/Ping.aspx doing?

Hi good people!

What does /umbraco/ping.aspx do? It is being called every 5mins - which I could do without.

:)

P

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Oct 27, 2013 @ 12:53
    Niels Hartvig

It keeps the website alive, ensuring the publishing service works.

• Peter 89 posts 160 karma points
    Oct 27, 2013 @ 12:58
    Peter

Thanks Niels.

• AvihayBit 149 posts 303 karma points
    Jul 06, 2014 @ 22:37
    AvihayBit

Hi Niels,

I'm facing a wierd problem with this file- The log file got to a 500 mb within 2 days because it calls /umbraco/ping.aspx  file +/- 60 every second.

I'm running a 6.1.6 installation. Everything exapt this is OK with this website but it really stucking the server...

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Jul 08, 2014 @ 11:15
    Niels Hartvig

@AvihayBit: That sounds really annoying - it's not a pattern I've heard of before. I'll ask on Twitter if anyone else can chime in?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 08, 2014 @ 11:22
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Are you running some kind of load balanced setup? This strange behavior rings a bell but I can't find relevant info on this at the moment. If you're load balancing, make sure to configure it using these docs: http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/load-balancing

Jul 08, 2014 @ 11:25
    AvihayBit

@Niels- Thanks a lot!! Im not on Twitter, so I would appreciate it if you could post here the answers.

It is really annoying, especially not have a clue solving it.

@Sebastiaan- I'm not using any load balance... Just a regular installation with some simple packages that Im using in a lot of my projects and never behave that way :\

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jul 08, 2014 @ 12:24
    Lee Kelleher

@AvihayBit - the ping.aspx should be called every 5 minutes. As the others say, it doesn't seem right that it's doing it every 60 seconds.

Ideally it would be good to figure out why it's pinging so frequently, but as an alternative you could disable the "ping" logs. Inside the config/umbracoSettings.config file, find the <disabledLogTypes> element and add in the alias(es) to disable:

<disabledLogTypes>
      <logTypeAlias>ping</logTypeAlias>
    </disabledLogTypes>

You can add in other alias types too... my usual set-up has the following:

<disabledLogTypes>
      <logTypeAlias>debug</logTypeAlias>
      <logTypeAlias>notfound</logTypeAlias>
      <logTypeAlias>open</logTypeAlias>
      <logTypeAlias>packagerinstall</logTypeAlias>
      <logTypeAlias>packageruninstall</logTypeAlias>
      <logTypeAlias>ping</logTypeAlias>
    </disabledLogTypes>

Cheers,
    - Lee

Jul 08, 2014 @ 12:34
    AvihayBit

@Lee Keller- thanks a lot, I hope It'll solve it.

BTW- I wish i was doing it every 60 seconds :) it was doing it 60 times every 1 second :0

Jul 08, 2014 @ 12:45
    Lee Kelleher

@AvihayBit - Ah, I misread that part ... ok, that's not cool at all. Disabling the logs will help the database log table, but it wont solve the underlying issue.

@Niels/Seb - I checked the v6.1.6 source for where umbraco.presentation.keepAliveService is called and found TimerCallbacks in 2 places:

• umbraco.presentation.requestModule.InitializeApplication
    • Umbraco.Web.LegacyScheduledTasks.

Both callbacks are set for 5 minutes (300000ms), so even with both set that doesn't equate to @AvihayBit's issue.

I'm wondering if multiple web-applications could be running? (Still, there'd need to be a lot of instances running to hit it that hard).

• Shannon Deminick 1525 posts 5271 karma points MVP 2x
    Jul 08, 2014 @ 15:19
    Shannon Deminick

Please ensures you don't have both Umbraco modules listed is your Web config...I assume you don't as that would cause truly awful problems :-P

I'm pretty sure the config Lee mentioned about logs is obsoleted and doesn't actually do anything anymore.

Apart from that, are you running IIS, IIS express?

Seems ultra strange! Anything in your logs that seems odd (apart from all these requests)?

Jul 08, 2014 @ 15:22
    Lee Kelleher

@Shannon - re: disabledLogTypes obsoleted - good to know, thanks!

Jul 08, 2014 @ 16:41
    Shannon Deminick

Its because all logging is handled with log4net, the only thing that goes in the log table are audit based logs that show up in the audit trail. so perhaps that config still works for that stuff, not sure.

Jul 08, 2014 @ 18:26
    AvihayBit

Thanks everybody for the helpful tips.

@Shannon- I have no access to the log files because the client host the website in a third party servers, so I just know that he complains a lot that It messing up his servers and he wants this UMBRACO websites out of his servers!

So... I guess I'll take this websites back to my servers tonight and let you know more details if it will not behaves :) ...

Thanks again everybody!

Jul 09, 2014 @ 02:56
    Shannon Deminick

I'm assuming you have a development and/or staging site? Can you reproduce this behavior with your same codebase running in those environments?

Can your host supply you with the logs? Would also be beneficial to see if you can get the IIS logs to see if each ping.aspx call is coming from your site, since this is a public URL there's a small chance someone could be pinging this on purpose?

• Rody 80 posts 280 karma points
    Jul 09, 2014 @ 08:01
    Rody

We've had similar issues for 1,5 days at a client of us running Umbraco 6.1.6. 

The page that was requested over 30/40 times a second was: GetSecondsBeforeLogout. It cluttered up the IIS logs and server performance for the time being. The customer was logged in the back-end of Umbraco.

An applicationpool reset fixed the issue and since than we've not seen this behavoir again.

Couldn't find anything at that moment that was out of the ordinary and was not able to reproduce it later (or on our staging/development environment)

Jul 09, 2014 @ 08:02
    Shannon Deminick

I'll double check the codebase for this stuff to see if there's anything strange going on like lock handling or similar.

• Mukesh 30 posts 60 karma points
    Feb 17, 2016 @ 07:13
    Mukesh

hi All,

I have similar issue and posted in the forum https://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-as-a-service/general-questions/75126-umbraco-pingaspx#comment-240360

Reset auto recycle has been placed at IIS 7.5 adn Umbraco 6.3.2 version but still I see in the logs consuming more space and creating servers problem high CPU.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft