Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mukesh 30 posts 60 karma points
    Feb 16, 2016 @ 15:00
    Mukesh

hi Team,

I want to know the advantages and disadvantages of the ~/Umbraco/ping.aspx service since where time I see in the events log and gathering the logs using perfmon tool.

Also, I want to know how to disable the service and what will happen if I disable it?

Please suggest.

Many thanks in advance!!

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Feb 16, 2016 @ 15:45
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Mukesh,

~/Umbraco/ping.aspx service keeps the website alive, ensuring the publishing service works.

/Dennis

Feb 16, 2016 @ 16:42
    Mukesh

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for information.

could you please help me incase I want to disable the service. how I can do that and what will happen? since, it is taking more than minute to send response.

Is there anyway to fix the slowness of the response we facing issue and sometime it is throwing bad response.

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Feb 16, 2016 @ 17:21
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Mukesh,

I found a similar thread about ping.aspx, maybe you could try to see this too.

https://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-as-a-service/general-questions/45749-What-is-umbracoPingaspx-doing

/Dennis

• Shannon Deminick 1525 posts 5271 karma points MVP 2x
    Feb 17, 2016 @ 08:52
    Shannon Deminick

Ping is just a request, it literally does nothing but return an empty string. There is no way that Ping.aspx itself is causing any slowness. The slowness you are seeing is most definitely a symptom of something else.

You cannot disable the keep-alive service.

You have also not indicated the version of Umbraco you are running on, there's a chance that your version has an bug that may be part of the symptom to this problem, try upgrading your site locally and see if the problem goes away.

Feb 17, 2016 @ 09:48
    Mukesh

Ok thank you for information, but why in the logs always I see umbraco/ping.aspx is getting logged?

Even I tried with Perfmon tool to collect logs it is showing same. Upgrade is not solution. can you suggest any alternative way?

Feb 17, 2016 @ 09:51
    Shannon Deminick

You need to determine what the problem is. Based on the information you have provided, I would have no idea.

• What version are you using?
    • What is actually in your logs?
    • What do you mean by slow?

Determining the cause for 'slowness' could literally be a million things. I don't know why upgrade is 'not an option', if this is actually a core issue and it's fixed in a later version, then you'll have to upgrade. So, you can test if this is a core issue by upgrading the project locally to see if the issue is resolved after that.

Feb 17, 2016 @ 09:58
    Mukesh

I am using 6.2.1 version. Log is show like GET /umbraco/ping.aspx with IP address.

one more observation, I'm getting response when service is called like below format {domainname}/umbraco/ping.aspx and also in log sometime I see like {domainname}:{portnumber}/umbraco/ping.aspx it is stating error in ping. so any idea how port number is getting appended ?

Feb 17, 2016 @ 10:28
    Shannon Deminick

Umbraco will ping itself every minute, so of course you are going to see log entries for this request... that has no relevance to determining what is making your application 'slow'... again this could be a million different things and in most cases this is directly related to code added to the solution and generally not Umbraco issues.

There is no 'hotfix' available because you don't know what the actual issue is.

Do you even have an issue? You've said that Ping.aspx takes a minute to respond, is that actually the case here or are you just seeing Ping.aspx in your log every minute because that is what's actually happenning - it's sending a request every minute.

6.2.5 is the latest 6.x version, i see no reason why you should not upgrade to that version, it also includes security fixes.

Feb 17, 2016 @ 10:32
    Mukesh

Thank you for information. we will plan for upgrade

one more observation, I'm getting response when service is called like below format {domainname}/umbraco/ping.aspx and also in log sometime I see like {domainname}:{portnumber}/umbraco/ping.aspx it is stating error in ping. so any idea how port number is getting appended ?

Feb 17, 2016 @ 10:36
    Shannon Deminick

This depends on the first request made to your website, if your first request to your website is made to "http://helloworld:1234" then that's what it will use to make internal requests, but if the first request is "http://helloworld", then that's what it will use.

Feb 17, 2016 @ 12:00
    Mukesh

Our all sites are external. We are not requesting the site with port number anywhere.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft