Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kai Leske-Heed 8 posts 79 karma points
    Mar 15, 2016 @ 19:21
    Kai Leske-Heed

Data type > Property relationship

Ok so this is my question.

Everytime I create a new Document type I populate it with several properties for example: Document Type : Home Tab : Content Properties: SiteName - textBox WelcomeText - TextBox BodyText - RTE

Each and every property then has a corresponding datatype made with it. For example: Home - SiteName - Textbox Called something similar to that. That seems very odd to me as I am using base datatypes. Why is it creating a new instance each time.

Things get furthur complicated by me maybe having to delete the Document Type and recreating it in testing. This leads me to have even more datatypes like Home - SiteName - Textbox(1) But they aren't telling me that is what they are in the Document Type editor. they just have the name without any copy numbers. So I go on a clear out and delete the (1) versions. But they have disappeared from my initial Master (which I had a as site wide container page) and all other Document types inherit from.

Now the existing content renders on output fine, but I can't edit or create new things without it erroring. And I can't reuse the datatypes on the Master because it errors on the save.

Do I just have to live with a messy collection of DataTypes? Will I just have to give up and start defining again from a new blank install of Umbraco?

• mizzle 90 posts 325 karma points
    Dec 31, 2018 @ 17:52
    mizzle

I know this is an old question, but I've been running into this too. I'm going to have to create a lot of properties -- is Umbraco really going to generate duplicate Data Types for every single one? It's going to be a mess! And completely pointless, plus difficult to make universal changes if I have to change how the Data Type works site-wide.

• Jamie Attwood 201 posts 493 karma points c-trib
    Dec 31, 2018 @ 21:07
    Jamie Attwood

In my opinion, the default tab state when you are creating a property should be “reuse” and not the default “create” as essentially you are prompted to create a new datatype every time - which is very inefficient. Unless there is a very good reason for it you should always reuse the existing datatypes ( textstring, etc). No need to rebuild these editors each time. Use reuse!

• mizzle 90 posts 325 karma points
    Dec 31, 2018 @ 21:10
    mizzle

So is Reuse a setting that needs to be checked somewhere? I don't recall seeing "reuse" when making properties in a new DocType.

I agree that the way it is out of the box is inefficient. I made a few new DocTypes and noticed a flood of Data Types as a result, even though I selected, for example, Content Picker when making the property and that already existed.

• Jamie Attwood 201 posts 493 karma points c-trib
    Dec 31, 2018 @ 21:14
    Jamie Attwood

When you go to add a new property to a tab, on the blade that slides out, there should be 2 tabs. One that is the default called “create” (I believe, I’m away from my computer) - the default and another that says “reuse”. That is not the default but should be imho. Use the default datatypes for 90% of all your needs and only create new datatypes when they are really needed.

In this fashion, you can use the generic textstring for all your basic needs without swamping your instance with hundreds of textstring clones.

The ability to create a new datatype in situ is pretty cool but I don’t think it should be defaulted to out of the box as it is very misleading and leads to inadvertent clutter

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft