Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dylan Sumiskum 3 posts 76 karma points
    Mar 17, 2016 @ 18:45
    Dylan Sumiskum

I'm curious if the Umbraco CMS framework has built-in caching mechanism for its various content/data.

Most of the data managed by the Umbraco CMS I consider to be domain data. They don't change frequently or very often at run-time. Unless a content editor publishes a new content, it doesn't make sense for site traffic to continually hit the underlying Umbraco CMS data storage. It makes more sense for the data access layer of the framework to cache the content data whereby the content cache gets refreshed when a content publish occurs.

Does the mechanism I describe above exist already? If not where/how one introduce such?

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Mar 18, 2016 @ 13:38
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Dylan,

Umbraco has something like you described out of the box. When you are using UmbracoHelper for retrieving data from Umbraco, it doesn't make request to db, it gets data from XML cache, which is stored in /App_Data/umbraco.config

Read more about UmbracoHelper: https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Reference/Querying/UmbracoHelper/

Another useful way to use cache with Umbraco, is to use Html.CachedPartial Razor helper. I like this helper very much, because you can make cacheble big parts of your site, like navigation, footer, side blocks.

Read more about CachedPartials: https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Reference/Templating/Mvc/partial-views

Thanks, Alex

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Mar 18, 2016 @ 13:43
    Dan Diplo

Alex has provided excellent information, which should suffice for most needs. However, if you want to programatically cache data directly into memory you can also use the Umbraco service caches where accessible from the following class:

UmbracoContext.Application.ApplicationCache

• Charles Roper 48 posts 200 karma points
    Mar 18, 2016 @ 15:01
    Charles Roper

Thanks for this question Dylan and for the answers Alex and Dan. Sometimes getting down to the basic questions are really interesting and useful.

So, Alex, when you say "When you are using UmbracoHelper for retrieving data from Umbraco, it doesn't make request to db, it gets data from XML cache" does that mean retrieving data in other ways (e.g., Model.Content.GetPropertyValue("myField")) does hit the db? Does that mean using UmbracoHelper is preferable most of the time?

Regarding partial views and caching, the docs say this:

You don't normally need to cache the output of Partial views, just like you don't normally need to cache the output of User Controls, but there are times when this is necessary.

I took that to mean that partials are usually cached anyway, unless you're doing something weird which means you have to force caching. What does "You don't normally need to cache the output of partial views" really mean, and what are the circumstances under which it would be necessary to use Html.CachedPartial?

Thanks for your time - really interesting thread.

Charles

Mar 18, 2016 @ 15:14
    Dan Diplo

Good questions, Charles.

No, using Model.Content.GetPropertyValue("myField") will NOT hit the DB.

Neither will @Umbraco.Field("myProperty") or @Umbraco.TypedContent(1234). Nor will any queries such Mode.Content.Children() or Model.Content.Descendants().Where(c => c.IsVisible() && c.DocumentTypeAlias == "MyDocTypeAlias")

Basically, anything that returns an instance of IPublishedContent doesn't hit the database. So all your standard querying you would normally use retrieve values from the cache (currently an XML Cache, but this may change in future). These are all "read-only" queries.

You only really hit the DB in Umbraco if you use the ContentService methods which are read/write. But generally you only use these if you need to access unpublished content or wish to create new content programatically.

As for Partial caching...

I'm not sure I'd agree with the docs when they say:

"You don't normally need to cache the output of Partial views..."

Perhaps they mean that just retrieving content in Umbraco is fast and so doesn't really benefit too much from caching? But I'd still argue that if your content isn't changing much then it would benefit from partial caching. I usually cache all content on the home page and in things like the header and footer since this won't change often. The cache is automatically invalidated whenever any content is published, so you don't need to worry about "stale" content.

Just don't cache stuff that is truly dynamic, such as forms, and be careful to know when to cache globally and when to cache by page.

Mar 18, 2016 @ 15:28
    Charles Roper

Excellent nuggets of info, Dan - many thanks. Today I've learned:

1. I can look out for IPublishedContent in VS using IntelliSense and know I'm getting cached content.
    2. Cache partials by default unless there's a good reason not to.

So when you're in development using a cached partial and you make a change to it, how do you bust that cache?

Mar 18, 2016 @ 16:55
    Dan Diplo

The cache is automatically "bust" every time you publish any page in your site. So in the vast majority of cases you don't need to worry about it - it just "works".

Note that when Umbraco is in debug mode (ie. debug is set in compilation in web.config) then caching is turned off - it only kicks-in when debug is turned off. This makes dev easier as you don't need to worry about dealing with cached content during development.

Mar 18, 2016 @ 16:58
    Charles Roper

Right, got it. Didn't realise caching isn't a factor when debug mode.

Thanks Dan!

• Dylan Sumiskum 3 posts 76 karma points
    Mar 18, 2016 @ 15:36
    Dylan Sumiskum

Hypothetically, if I put my Umbraco application behind a load balancer in 5 different containers, and lets say by default the XML Cache is stored in each container, how can I make sure that the XML Cache is synced and properly invalidated across the containers? Is there some configuration we can tamper with?

Mar 18, 2016 @ 16:56
    Dan Diplo

Basically, so long as you configure Umbraco correctly, then Umbraco takes care of syncing the XML cache and invalidating it etc.

See https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/getting-started/setup/server-setup/load-balancing/

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft