Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gert Kjerslev 16 posts 67 karma points
    Mar 19, 2016 @ 23:20
    Gert Kjerslev

Best practice for developing a site

Hello Our, I have now done a couple of Umbraco sites (best CMS ever!). Both using the .zip file and installing the "manual" way on a local server. I think that deploying my sites to the hosting partner was some what hard and I would like to know how you (the pros) setup you're site local and then deploy to a hosting partner and/or MS azure. Are you using webmatrix or VS and NuGet? Any comment is greatly appreciated.

• Dennis Adolfi 1082 posts 6446 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Mar 20, 2016 @ 19:33
    Dennis Adolfi

Hi Gert, awsome to hear that you love the CMS as much as the rest of us. There is probobly no right or wrong answer for your question, but i can share my work setup and hope it help: I use Visual Studio (2015) with Sql Server 2012 (when im not doing CE sites). For install and upgrades i use Nuget Console, its awsome! For deploy i use FTP (usally with FileZilla since i think its faster that Visual Studios built in FTP deployment.)

Hope this was usefull, let me know if there's anything else you find tricky and i'll do my best to help out!

• Gert Kjerslev 16 posts 67 karma points
    Mar 20, 2016 @ 19:40
    Gert Kjerslev

thanks for sharing :-) Okay so you test that all is running ok locally and then upload the bits to the "production" server? How do you deploy the SQL?

Is it possible to "convert" a manual deployed site and/or import it in to VS?

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Mar 25, 2016 @ 13:39
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Gert,

Another great way for doing Umbraco sites is Umbraco as Service

Read more:

https://umbraco.com/cloud

Thanks

• Dennis Adolfi 1082 posts 6446 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Mar 20, 2016 @ 19:49
    Dennis Adolfi

No problem, glad to be able to help out. :)

Yes, ill test everything locally and then deploy to production, and then make sure thast everything is working fine there aswell. I deploy the SQL by scripting the whole databse from local to production.

In Visual studio, you can select the option "replace from server" and it will retrive the code from the production server to local. You still have to script the SQL server though, but ive done it so many times now that it takes less than a minute.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft