Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Alessandro Calzavara 32 posts 144 karma points c-trib
    Mar 24, 2016 @ 08:56
    Alessandro Calzavara

Versioning of files in Umbraco (views/partials, custom files)

Hi all, we are a small team (2-3 ppl) and the problem that we are trying to solve is the versioning of the views/partials and all custom code;

We usually have a shared installation in a dev server in our internal lan. At the moment each of us has a solution that references that installation (website), so every update to a file is instantly delivered and never versioned.

If I modify a view and then close my visual studio there's no way to go back to the previous version of the view.

We thought some different approaches:

• Make a different project for the views, with all the references to Umbraco so there's intellisense and then move the views to the umbraco folder with a build action (without forgetting to create the view in umbraco)
    • Version the full website so that only the database is shared and everyone has their personal local umbraco website folder (never used git for versioning binary files and such, could that be a problem
      with upgrades maybe?)

But I still think that there must be a better way.

What is your usual approach?

Thank you!

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Mar 24, 2016 @ 09:22
    Ismail Mayat

Alessandro,

We have a shared database however all visual studio files excluding bin and examine indexes are checked in. We use teamcity to deploy. We also use usync to help deploy non content assets to another instance like staging.

Regards

Ismail

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft