Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Christina Carter 12 posts 93 karma points
    Mar 25, 2016 @ 22:08
    Christina Carter

create a document type property that pulls in another document type

I have a a document type "Article" and a document type "Category". From within the Article document type, I would like to be able to select multiple Category objects as they relate to the Article. I see that I can create a a property that is uses a content picker editor, but I don't think that's what I want.

Basically a user can create an infinite number of categories, which have a name, description and image. Then on the Article, you can select from the list of categories as many as are relevant to the article. I only need the category name or id and not the image or description. Ideally there could be a checkbox field in the Article document type that would display all the category names.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks, C

• Dennis Adolfi 1082 posts 6446 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Mar 26, 2016 @ 10:24
    Dennis Adolfi

Hi Christina!

You can create a Multinode Treepicker for your Article doctype named "Categories" for example, and specify the Allow items of type as the same alias as for your Category doctype (category in my example).

enter image description here

That way, when your client creates an Article, he/she can only select nodes of the correct doctype "Category":

enter image description here

Also, you can specify the root node for your Multinode Treepicker and the client then does´nt have to see all the other nodes in the treepicker. Se example:

DataType: enter image description here

Article when selecting categories: enter image description here

If you´d like to have them as checkboxes as you mentioned, you probobly have to build your own custom datatype.

Hope this helped you!

• Christina Carter 12 posts 93 karma points
    Mar 26, 2016 @ 18:45
    Christina Carter

This works nicely, thanks for taking the time! I had done just about this but i was using the content picker instead of the multinode treepicker. cheers!

• Dennis Adolfi 1082 posts 6446 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Mar 26, 2016 @ 19:50
    Dennis Adolfi

Glad that it helped! Have a great evening!! :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft