Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Veksler 81 posts 166 karma points
    Mar 28, 2016 @ 18:33
    David Veksler

Media Picker pane in Umbraco very slow with large image folders

We have a media folder with about 3000 images.

To pick a single newly uploaded image from this folder, the editor has to open the media picker pane below. 3000 images times 8MB average size = 24GB of data (fetched from our AWS S3 bucket), which is cropped down to 100MB of data. The image picker ads an rnd attribute to disable caching.

Trying to generate thumbnails for so many images and then send them down the pipe means it takes several minutes to pick a newly uploaded image and requires massive server resources.

Any solutions to this? Three ideas: 1: The latest upload image should automatically go on top. 2: There should be a cache for the images shown in the media picker. 3: Add a parameter to the media picker to show images in a list, without thumbnails (the same one already added to the media section).

enter image description here

enter image description here

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Mar 28, 2016 @ 19:59
    Nicholas Westby

Which version of Umbraco are you using? I could swear they addressed this in a very recent version (either that, or they caused it in a very recent version). I remember an issue in which they were talking about that "rnd" query string parameter for images.

Can you move the images into subfolders? That way, you don't have to load a preview for all 3,000 images at once. One idea would be to make the folders alphabetical, but you could create them in any way that makes sense.

As a last resort, you could build your own media picker property editor that allows you to pick images without loading previews.

Mar 28, 2016 @ 20:05
    David Veksler

This is Umbraco 7.4.1.

I am telling our editors to use subfolders, but we also have 70 years of imported content.

I tried this, but it does not work:

<add name="DisableRNDInImagePicker" redirectMode="Permanent" virtualUrl="^~/media/(.*)\&amp;rnd=[0-9]+(.*)"
            rewriteUrlParameter="ExcludeFromClientQueryString"
            destinationUrl="~/media/$1$2"
            ignoreCase="true" />

I asked the Umbraco team to modify the media picker: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-8247

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Mar 28, 2016 @ 20:09
    Nicholas Westby

Could you use the media API to automatically move the imported media into subfolders?

Mar 28, 2016 @ 20:15
    David Veksler

Interesting idea.

I will see if there is any response to my feature request, otherwise grouping by year seems like a good solution.

• Paul Wright (suedeapple) 277 posts 704 karma points
    Mar 28, 2016 @ 23:16
    Paul Wright (suedeapple)

The new media section has some scope for bulk moving.

You can updatethe default listview of the media section to change the page size and sort order. This will make it easier to do the bulk re-foldering of the media items.

Wouldnt take that long to do, and saves writing a load of code.

I did this for a site with 10,000 media nodes, and was a breeze.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft