Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robert Stigsson 47 posts 158 karma points
    Mar 29, 2016 @ 07:47
    Robert Stigsson

What happens when you upgrade 7.3.2 to 7.4.2?

Hi!

I wonder what actually happens when you "install" (upgrade) a version? Do I need to do it on the server, or is it only "messing" with the database?

My question is probably more exact: What happens when I go into the system for the first time after an upgrade (this time between 7.3.2 -> 7.4.2) and press "upgrade"?

What's the best practice in upgrading Umbraco, when you have a Test-system and a Production-system?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Mar 29, 2016 @ 14:11
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Good question, upgrade documentation can be found here: https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Upgrading/

Most of the times it will only just update the files, for major and minor version upgrades it also "messes" with the database a bit, I've blogged about this recently under the "how it works" heading: https://cultiv.nl/blog/using-umbraco-migrations-to-deploy-changes/

Mar 29, 2016 @ 14:39
    Robert Stigsson

Sweet blogpost that cleared a lot of information! Thank you for that tip!

Now, it helped a lot but I still have some questions. See, we have the load balanced Azure-solution, and if we do the merging in lets say the master, and there are file-updates, how do I know if the files has been updated correctly in the slaves? They both, of course, answer to the same database.

Usually I just did it on my local machine, and then pushed eventual changes to both slaves and master at the same time, but this time (at least for me, might be this old technical-debt-thing you talked about, if we forgot to run the install) it removed a column which makes the site unusable until the code is updated.

That's why I wonder what the best practice is, in this case?

PS, when I got you on the line; In our solution, we have deleted the /umbraco-folder from the slaves. Can that add up to any problems (like load-balancing problems) or are everything "useful" in the .dll?

PPS. You linked to the Upgrade Documentation, but nowhere can I see exactly which databases and files that should be changed after running the install-script. Does that documentation exist anywhere? (not which files are changed when dragged and dropped, but the changes when starting the site for the first time).

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Mar 29, 2016 @ 15:02
    Sebastiaan Janssen

If you're load balancing you will just see the upgrade installer until you run it to completion on all of the nodes that you've deployed the new dlls to. There's really no best practice for this right now.. do it quickly? :-) Might be an option to take the slaves offline until they are updated with the latest code? Don't know, I'm not an LB expert unfortunately.

There's basically only html/js/css in the umbraco folders, so nothing "useful".

Sure it's all "documented" in the code: https://github.com/umbraco/Umbraco-CMS/tree/dev-v7/src/Umbraco.Core/Persistence/Migrations/Upgrades

Mar 29, 2016 @ 15:21
    Robert Stigsson

Thank you once again! Just what I was looking for! You maybe should link to it from the upgrade-page? (or are you already?) I can easily go through that information and see what's happening! :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft