Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Craig Cronin 304 posts 503 karma points
    Mar 31, 2016 @ 20:11
    Craig Cronin

Why use Umbraco instead of Wordpress?

Ok, this may seem like a stupid question but I'm increasing being asked this question and really not sure how to sell umbraco to make customers switch.

I've always worked with Microsoft technologies and after three years on Sharepoint, Umbraco was a breath of fresh air.

I love how quick it is to build functionality, love MVC and clean markup and how easy it was to pick up, but I can also imagine that if I'd come from a php world I might be saying this about the other platforms.

I can imagine that Wordpress developers say the same about their platform.

Its the nitty gritty really. How can I make them switch?

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Mar 31, 2016 @ 21:29
    Mar 31, 2016 @ 21:55
    Craig Cronin

Thanks Alex,

Some really good links. Really useful

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Apr 01, 2016 @ 00:37
    Nicholas Westby

Hi Alex,

While that video isn't working for me right now, I did read the forum thread and the slideshow. Sadly, I didn't find either compelling.

The forum thread basically said "Umbraco's more flexible" and the slideshow basically said "know your audience" and had some very vague concepts which it didn't back up or explain. For example:

Example

Why would somebody interested in WordPress find MS integration advantageous? What is meant by "enterprise backbone"? Both WordPress and Umbraco are free, but provide hosting options; how is Umbraco any more "great value for money" than WordPress? "More popular than you think" is still dwarfed by WordPress's popularity.

I would recommend Umbraco any day of the week, but I'd be interested to see if that's just my own biases or if there are actual, substantial advantages that somebody has clearly outlined. Not having much WordPress experience myself, I wonder if there are any WordPress/Umbraco developers who have clear insight into Umbraco's advantages.

Apr 01, 2016 @ 07:19
    Craig Cronin

One of the links was from lee Kelleher who has a lot of experience of both systems which I'm going to take a look at.

Its like what you said though, personally I really do love working with the product but have been stuck on a number of occasions when asked the question.

I was looking for the clear cut answers that customer could understand, I've heard of things such as security and scalability, but surely Wordpress can be hosted on a secure server and what level of security are we really talking about?

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Apr 14, 2016 @ 00:18
    Nicholas Westby

My company just posted a super high-level answer to this question: http://rhythmagency.com/blog/2016/04/wordpress-or-a-custom-website-its-like-choosing-a-suit/

Replace "Custom Website" with "Umbraco".

Still, I'd like to research it further and dig into the real details.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft