Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Naman 20 posts 101 karma points
    Apr 04, 2016 @ 12:02
    Naman

Hi,

What is the best way to call WebAPI using Umbraco7 ?

I find some references such as UmbracoAPIControllers, does it mean that all the actions exposed from UmbracoApiController will be like WebAPI methods?

If above understanding is true then what's the advantage of using UmbracoApiController , can we use normal ASP.NET WEB API from Umbraco?

As during research i find that all the actions exposed from UmbracoApiController will have umbraco keyword in the url, e.g. umbraco/api/partners/getpartners url structure.

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Apr 04, 2016 @ 13:01
    Steve Morgan

"From" Umbraco -> some external WebAPI data source you can do what you like. Is that what you mean you want to bring data in rather than expose it?

The UmbracoAPIController is a thin layer built on top of WebAPI to let you expose data (I use if for AJAX and for syncing with CRM systems etc).

HTH

Steve

• Jason Espin 368 posts 1335 karma points
    Apr 04, 2016 @ 13:36
    Jason Espin

We use WebApi in Umbraco to pull data into the system. Granted the WebApi call only serves as an initialiser for some external web services that are used in conjunction with the content service to add information to the Umbraco site but it really depends on what you are looking to do. You can also restrict the Umbraco WebApi calls so that the only work from the back office (for use with Angular Js and custom dashboards) if you are worried about security.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft