Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Apr 14, 2016 @ 01:04
    Nicholas Westby

Our.Umbraco.Org Account Locked

My coworker, Josef Kohout, posted a message on this thread: https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/formulate/formulate-questions/76584-formulate-validation

You can see from the homepage that he last updated that thread:

Recent

However, his post isn't showing up in the thread yet. He said he got a message or something saying his account was being moderated. I think this is that "feature" where Umbraco automatically blocks posts created by new members.

Can you unlock his account and make sure his message appears?

Also, is there any way for new members to avoid this barrier to entry when using the Umbraco forums?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 14, 2016 @ 05:11
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Nicholas

He is unblocked now - I think that Sebastiaan decided that all new members must be approved by an admin before their posts are visible due to the massive amounts of spam we experienced some time ago. So HQ and forum administrators have an admin panel where it's possible to approve new members to avoid spam posts to ever appear in the forums.

Currently I don't think that there is any way of avoiding it.

/Jan

Apr 14, 2016 @ 05:32
    Nicholas Westby

Thanks for the background? Have you heard of Akismet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akismet

Basically, it automatically detects spam. Doesn't require any user interaction (in contrast with a CAPTCHA).

Do you regularly approve new members that are posting for the first time, or should I notify you again in the future to ask that somebody approve the member?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Apr 14, 2016 @ 06:08
    Sebastiaan Janssen

We have a lot of human spammers (people in low wage countries getting paid to bypass automated systems) so this and other measures did not work. HQ gets a Slack notification for each post marked as spam and we process them ASAP. I'll update the message to make this process more clear.

Apr 14, 2016 @ 14:02
    Nicholas Westby

Thanks for the background info!

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 14, 2016 @ 05:52
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Nicholas

Yup, if I remember correctly Sebastiaan once had that implemented but it turned out to not do it's job properly hence the new restrictions. Can't remember what the issue was though. Perhaps Sebastiaan can ellaborate a bit on that. But indeed it can be a bit frustrating at times too but at least we're certain to not have any spam pass :)

I can't speak for the other admins but I check on a daily basis when I visit the forums.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft