Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Leon 101 posts 489 karma points
    Apr 19, 2016 @ 11:25
    Leon

Umbraco "Genesis" starting project workflow

I'm trying to get a "base" or "genesis" starting point for all future umbraco projects that I can just "merge" into any existing branches and any new projects going forward. The idea is that I have a project with all my custom nuget / bower / npm / rugby / sass installed but not yet connected to a database.

My idea is to exclude any content, media and temp files. Any time I start a new project or when umbraco has an upgrade, I just want to upgrade this "base" starting point and then merge (making sure web.config, trees, dashboard etc are still ok) it into any branches I might have for deployment.

Has anyone done this before or can anyone give me advice on how to do this? I know umbraco as a service is the real deal for this, but my boss won't go for that seeing as how he's used to wordpress where you don't need to pay.

Any help and advice will be appreciated (please don't say UaaS is the answer because I know it is).

Leon

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 20, 2016 @ 05:50
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Leon

I'm wondering if you could perhaps to this just using the embedded CE SQL database.

So you create a "Base" project with all the stuff you mentioned above using CE SQL and then keep it as a repository on bitbucket or github or whatever version control system that you prefer and then each time you start at new project you just clone from this repository migrating the CE SQL database to MSSQL for instance. One of the benefits from using the CE SQL database is that it can in fact be version controlled. However it can be a little annoying though but I think it's worth the effort depending what you're up to.

I'm using a similar approach myself since it removes a lot of the boilerplating in each project. However it does require some maintainance though.

I'm not sure what he is used to not paying for using Wordpress? He still needs to pay for hosting a wordpress website, isn't he? :) Uaas solves this among many other things and I do get that the current price model for UaaS is probably more expensive than what it would cost to host a Wordpress site - But in the long run I think UaaS might be worth the money any way - But it of course depends on many factors in the project, which is a topic of it's own...so let's not get into that right now :) Sorry about the sidestepping.

Hope this helps however :)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft