Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• jeff mayer 122 posts 200 karma points
    Apr 19, 2016 @ 19:12
    jeff mayer

Unpublishing/Scheduled Content in 7.43

For some reason I have never been able to get the scheduled publishing or unpublish on date feature to work with my Umbraco install with any version of U7. When the date to unpublish or publish occurs the content node does not change to unpublished status. Am I missing something?

There's nothing in the logs that points to a problem that I can see.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 20, 2016 @ 05:23
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jeff

Historically this feature has been working on/off between releases for some reason so what you're experiencing might be a bug with the feature. However my experience in the past 2-3 years have been that it's actually working but for some other reasons it's not being run.

Currently I don't have an active 7.4.3 install myself at the machine I'm at so I can't give it a quick test-spin unfortunately.

However I have a 7.3.8 install where I just tested it and it is working on this instance.

I added a headline to an already existing page and set the publish date and time to 1 minute after I made the change and hit "Save". Waited for a minute and then "BOOM" the headline appeared on my frontend.

Many tend to make the mistake of hitting "Save and publish" thinking that the changes won't be made untill the date/time criteria is met but this approach just publishes the page straight away. Hitting "Save" is the key that essential to make this work succesfully.

That being said it can be that the site you're trying to do this on don't have enough visits to keep the application pool alive - if it's in "sleep mode" then it won't work either if I remember correctly. So if it has a lot of visits during the day and none during the night then depending on your time span for when a site should be published the task might not be run because it's "sleeping" due to no visits.

I don't know if it might be possible to do something custom using http://hangfire.io/ - Some of my colleagues have been using it for other tasks but I don't know if it can somehow make sure to ping the server so it's kept alive making sure each task is run though.

Hope this helps? :)

/Jan

• jeff mayer 122 posts 200 karma points
    Apr 20, 2016 @ 14:20
    jeff mayer

Thanks for replying. In the case of setting a unpublish date shouldn't that work correctly with the save and publish button? The site shouldn't have an issue with a lack of traffic.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft