Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chris 34 posts 134 karma points
    Apr 27, 2016 @ 11:04
    Chris

Content tree failing to load

For some reason, on one of our production environments the content tree is empty apart from the recycle bin. If I right click on the Content title I get an error saying:

Server error: Contact administrator, see log for full details. Failed to retrieve data for a node's menu -1

I can see in Chrome network tab this is the URL that is being requested that is throwing a 500: http://www.mysiteco.uk/umbraco/backoffice/UmbracoTrees/ContentTree/GetMenu?id=-1&application=content&tree=&isDialog=false

However, this isn't being reported in either log4net, elmah or the server Event Viewer.

Has anyone come across this before?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 27, 2016 @ 14:10
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Chris

That's odd indeed - I'm wondering if it is just something that has started to happen? Or has it been acting up for a while?

What exact version of Umbraco are you using? Has any kind of update to Umbraco been made recently? Any deploys? Any kind of custom trees? If so have you then made sure to clear the backoffice cache etc. ?

By log4net I take that you mean you have looked in umbraco's log files at /App_Data/Logs ?

Do you have another server setup, which you can use to compare with to see where things might go wrong?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

• Chris 34 posts 134 karma points
    Apr 27, 2016 @ 14:24
    Chris

Hi Jan, thanks a lot for your input

We are running Version 7.3.7, have been since go live. We have a separate UAT website and DB setup on the same server, exact same codebase version and same version of umbraco but which doesn't have the same issue as live.

We did a code deployment earlier today to both which was to add an extra field to a document type.

We have custom trees for Elmah, uCommerce and a custom CSV importer, all of which have worked and have not been touched in this deployment or since go live.

We are logging to the App_Data/Logs folder with a priority value of INFO, and there is nothing in there related to the issue. Also looked in the Event Viewer on the server and nothing there either.

As this is a live eCommerce site we need to be careful we don't cause any more issues, however I've been thinking of doing these steps which I've already tested on UAT and didn't cause any issues:

1. Delete \App_Data\TEMP\ClientDependency
    2. Update ClientDependancy.config and increment the version
    3. Delete the \App_data\umbraco.config file
    4. Recycle the app pool

One final thing, on the Developer tab under the XML Integrity there is an error in the cmsContent which I've clicked Fix and nothing happens.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 27, 2016 @ 14:38
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Chris

You're welcome :)

I think the steps you describe below are worth trying out and they should not cause any issues.

However it should not be necessary to do step 3, delete the umbraco.config file. That's not going to help since it's a backoffice issue. If you struggled with a missing node not showing up on the website then it would be worth trying out.

Yeah not sure about the dashboard thing...I remember having seen this issue as well. Perhaps it might be worth giving it a try to upgrade to 7.3.8 and see if that would fix the issue with the XML Integrity dashboard?

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft