Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stefan 117 posts 215 karma points
    May 06, 2016 @ 22:02
    Stefan

Ignore certain document types site-wide

I'm working on a site that has some "settings" nodes (specific document types) located below the home node along with my content nodes I do wish to be visible (faq, gallery etc.). The nodes to ignore could for example be a node for email sent successfully, sitemap and custom error pages. It could look something like this:

• Home
      • EmailSuccess
      • EmailError
      • NotFound
      • Sitemap

To my knowledge I can't easily ignore such nodes without manually filtering everywhere I query the content tree. An example could be in a partial view rendering siblings or children in a sidebar, or content or seo sitemaps that traverses the content tree. It is also not possible to move these nodes "outside" the home node, as they are rendered within the master template and thus depending on its properties.

Nodes and their properties can of course be ignored in the examine index, but this still doesn't solve the above problem.

No matter what I think of, it is very inefficient and time consuming keeping everything synchronized.

If you have the golden answer to this problem, then please fill me in :)

• Dennis Adolfi 1082 posts 6446 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    May 07, 2016 @ 06:03
    Dennis Adolfi

Hi Stefan.

This might not be exacly what you where looking for, but could you maybe use the umbracoNaviHide property on these document types, and in your views only use .Where("Visible")?

That way you don't need to filter away documentTypes by their alias in every view (which I agree is not nice) and I know most sitemap packages for Umbraco take this property in consideration so you won't get these pages in the sitemap either.

Then if you for some reason need to access these property in your views, you can just skip the where clause.

I also think from Umbraco 7.4 (not sure) you can set default values on most properties, that way you can set this property to default=true and avoid having to tick that box every time.

https://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/umbraco-best-practices/umbraconavihide/

Best of luck!!!

May 07, 2016 @ 09:28
    Stefan

Thank you for your reply.

I have for some time ago seen a true/false editor with the ability to set a default state. Just cant remember the name of it...

I am already using the umbracoNaviHide property along with .Where(x => x.IsVisible()) along with other expressions. However, when iterating over a collection of IPublishedContent nodes in a foreach and for example checking a node IsLast(), the method will never return true, as the collection has been filtered. Correct me if I am wrong.

The best case would be to set the umbracoNaviHide property of the document type while preventing users with access to change the value. Please remember that I never want the node to be visible in menus, sitemaps, lists etc.

Funny that this is not added to the core, as I find myself having the exact same problem for each site I am creating - unfortunately this site does not make it possible to use the usual "hacks" :(

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    May 07, 2016 @ 15:33
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Looks like you're right! And I found no way (well, I looked for about a minute) to make the built-in IsFirst and IsLast work with the Visible filtering.

In order for you to move on, create the following class (you could just drop it into ~/App_Code:

// From: http://stackoverflow.com/a/14687229/5018

using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Linq;

namespace ExtensionMethods 
    {
        public static class IEnumerableExtensions
        {
            public static bool IsLast<T>(this IEnumerable<T> items, T item)
            {
                var last =  items.LastOrDefault();
                if (last == null)
                    return false;
                return item.Equals(last);
            }

public static bool IsFirst<T>(this IEnumerable<T> items, T item)
            {
                var first =  items.FirstOrDefault();
                if (first == null)
                    return false;
                return item.Equals(first);
            }

public static bool IsFirstOrLast<T>(this IEnumerable<T> items, T item)
            {
                return items.IsFirst(item) || items.IsLast(item);
            }
        }
    }

And then you can figure out if it's the last item like a little so:

@inherits Umbraco.Web.Mvc.UmbracoTemplatePage
    @using ExtensionMethods
    @{ 
        var home = Model.Content.AncestorOrSelf(1); 
        var pages = home.Children.Where(x => x.IsVisible());
    }

<ul>            
        @foreach (var childPage in pages)
        {   
            <li>@pages.IsLast(childPage)</li>
        }
    </ul>

May 20, 2016 @ 21:41
    Stefan

Hi Sebastiaan, and thank you for your reply. I'm sorry that I have left you hanging, but I forgot all about your answer.

I didn't think of creating an extension as you suggested, but it works like a charm! It would of course be nice if any type of filtering would work with collections of IPublishedContent, but for now I'll manage :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft