Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Karolis Ramanauskas 3 posts 73 karma points
    May 07, 2016 @ 21:35
    Karolis Ramanauskas

Best OS for Umbraco development

Hi guys,

Front-end developer here who has worked with Umbraco developers in the past and decided to take a plunge himself to learn this amazing CMS!

Currently, my primary workstation is a MacBook Pro. However, I understand that Umbraco works the best on Windows.

Now, the question is, what version of Windows would be the best to work with Umbraco? I like Windows 10 UI and overall it seems a good OS.

However, Microsoft being Microsoft, I am afraid there will be unnecessary problems when developing on it. Thus, would Windows 7 perhaps be a safer choice? Could you advise on the matter? I will go with any platform that's as pain-free as possible and will simply allow the development to get done.

Cheers!

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    May 08, 2016 @ 05:35
    Sebastiaan Janssen

There's absolutely no problem with Windows 10.

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    May 08, 2016 @ 08:43
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Karolis,

As Sebastiaan says there is no problem running Umbraco on Windows 10. I am running Umbraco on a MacBook Air, using Parallels Desktop https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/getting-started/setup/install/running-umbraco-on-a-mac

In Parallels Desktop I using the manally install approach. https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/getting-started/setup/install/

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

• Karolis Ramanauskas 3 posts 73 karma points
    May 08, 2016 @ 19:10
    Karolis Ramanauskas

Thanks guys, good to know! :)

• David Brendel 792 posts 2970 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    May 08, 2016 @ 21:29
    David Brendel

Hi Karolis,

have developed for/with umbraco in windows 7/8/10.

So use what you like the most.

Regards David

• Matthieu Nelmes 102 posts 385 karma points
    May 09, 2016 @ 07:44
    Matthieu Nelmes

As a fellow Macbook user, I can recommend VMFusion for a Windows environment. I'm sure Parallels has similar functionality that allows you to share folders/desktops which is cool as I can run Sublime and all my usual grunt goodness with OSX for Frontend stuff then switch to VMFusion for any Server-side business.

Currently running Windows 8 w/ Visual Studio 2015 community IIS 7.5 for localhosting

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft