Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andy W 15 posts 85 karma points
    May 11, 2016 @ 13:11
    Andy W

Upgrading for first time to 7.4.2 - question about upgrading live environment

Hi,

I am about to do my first test upgrade (from 7.1.3 to 7.4.2).

We have an ASP.Net website with Umbraco bolted on. I believe I need to download the new version, merge files etc, then deploy my website. On running the upgraded site, the installer will then run to complete the process.

My question is - do I then repeat this process on my live environment?

The reason I ask is because the upgrade notes say under 'Post installation' - "...install folder....never to upload it to a live server"

Any help appreciated!

Andy

• John Churchley 272 posts 1258 karma points c-trib
    May 11, 2016 @ 13:34
    John Churchley

Hi Andy,

The process I follow if you can is to lock all Users out of Umbraco to prevent changes while you do the upgrade. Then make a back up of the live database and restore it to a local instant of SQL. Perform the upgrade and implement any fixes needed locally. Then after through testing back up the local database and replace the live database and deploy the files up to your root folder.

I would always make a copy of the directory and database and save it somewhere save before running the upgrade especially if you don't have any source control. This will allow you to revert if something goes wrong.

There is a guide here depending on your setup https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/getting-started/setup/upgrading/general

• Andy W 15 posts 85 karma points
    May 11, 2016 @ 13:55
    Andy W

Thanks for your help John - sounds like a good idea.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft