Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Phillip Turner 98 posts 412 karma points
    May 16, 2016 @ 11:09
    Phillip Turner

Document Type for either picking content OR entering a static URL

As the Title said. Why is there not a document type that allows you to either pick a piece of content OR enter a static URL.

I know there are external packages like "multi-url" that can do this, but this is overkill for when I want to use it for just one link.

Any other options?

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    May 16, 2016 @ 11:18
    Nik

Hi Phillip,

Can you give a bit more of an explanation as to what you are trying to achieve?

There are various built in property editors / data types that allow you to link to existing pages or type in urls and even link to particular documents.

There is content picker, for selecting content, or you could installed Link Picker which allows for a link to a content node, media/document, or typing in a url. It also allows you to specify if you want it to render in a new window/tab or the current page etc.

May 16, 2016 @ 11:25
    Phillip Turner

Sure.

I am using Umbraco 7.4. I have a document type that renders a small image panel. The following are the data types used:

Panel Image : Media Picker Panel Title: TextBox Panel URL: Content Picker

The problem I have is, I need one of the panels to link to a book mark, but content picker only allows you to select a piece of content. I saw no other data type that allows for either picking content OR entering a static URL.

Does that make sense?

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    May 16, 2016 @ 11:38
    Nik

Hi Phillip,

I highly recommend https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/link-picker/ .

I believe it should allow you to do what you are after.

Nik

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    May 16, 2016 @ 12:03
    Dan Diplo

I think you mean data type rather than document type?

Anyway, I use this package, which works well:

https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/multi-url-picker/

It allows you to set how many links you can pick, so for single links you just set it to allow one.

May 16, 2016 @ 12:07
    Phillip Turner

That was corrected in my further explanation, but yes. I also use Multi-url picker, but its overkill in this instance.

I will look at Niks recommendation, but I honestly feel this is core and should be part of the base (shipped) data types. Just my opinion though!.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft