Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Raghav 34 posts 103 karma points
    May 17, 2016 @ 11:30
    Raghav

Multi Lingual Site -Fallback Language

Hi,

I have started creating multilingual site . So basically have copied the home node (along with children) and added culture/host name to it. For all static display texts which is reusable across pages I initially created separate content item as labels with text field but now I am thinking to use dictionary type . I have few questions with the above approach 1)How do we handle the scenario if new pages get added under Home down the line. Does the content editor need to create it separately for each sub domain. Wondering when we have many languages. Ideally should it not be possible to get the main domain page if the sub domain page does not exist

2) How can we make dictionary item to have fallback and give us english value if the translated value does not exist.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards Raghav

• Manish 373 posts 932 karma points
    May 17, 2016 @ 11:49
  • Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    May 17, 2016 @ 11:54
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Raghav,

Try to have a look at the package called Vorto https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/vorto/

With Vorto you will get 1:1 translation, where you can choose the different languages on each field in the backoffice.

From version 1,4 and further Matt has added fallback culture support

1.4 - Added fallback culture support to HasVortoValue and GetVortoValue

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

May 18, 2016 @ 03:47
    Raghav

Thanks Dennis. Will check that.

May 17, 2016 @ 12:10
    Raghav

Thanks Manish. I did go through them but it does not seem to answer how I can achieve what I mentioned in the above queries. I have configured host name and dictionary and it works but wondering how to handle fallbacks

• Guru Prasad 11 posts 80 karma points
    May 17, 2016 @ 12:42
    Guru Prasad

Hi Umbraco Team,

Even we are also working on a POC which basically enabling the Multi lingual application in Umbraco. We are keen to know the solution for the points asked by Raghav. Please throw some light on the same.

• Guru Prasad
  • Poornima Nayar 106 posts 276 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Jul 07, 2016 @ 14:52
    Poornima Nayar

Regarding your Point 1 I think Vorto is the best solution. If you cant use Vorto because you are way ahead in the build process the only way is to make sure that you use Umbraco Relations and always copy the page from the master and check the Relate to original box.

If you are to be automatically redirected to the main language page if a page in a particular lanuguuage is not found you can write something using the RelationService to handle it all gracefully.

With your point 2, you can use the LocalisationService to get dictionary item by language?

https://our.umbraco.org/Documentation/Reference/Management/Services/LocalizationService

Poornima

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft