Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robert Stigsson 47 posts 158 karma points
    May 18, 2016 @ 12:07
    Robert Stigsson

Azure + Umbraco + Slot Swapping and Auto Scale

Hi!

I'm pretty sure I've read something about this before, but I really can't find anything about it.

This is our procedure when updating:

• Deploy to the Swap-slot
    • Swap the deployment slot with the production slot

The problem is that after we swapped, the application takes extremly long time until it works "normal" again (20-30 minutes). After the swap we can see that ApplicationStart is called, and Umbraco indexes up everything from the beginning. Are there any better ways to do this?

The same problem (ApplicationStart) is happening when we start a new instance. So when the site is slow and we auto-scale another instance, it takes 20-30 minutes before it even helps the site. Are there any good ways to solve this problem?

Best regards,

Robert

• Jason Elkin 38 posts 351 karma points MVP 2x c-trib
    May 18, 2016 @ 23:08
    Jason Elkin

Hi Robert,

I think that Azure's auto swap feature can be configured to "warm up" the site before sending traffic to it.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/documentation/articles/web-sites-staged-publishing/#configure-auto-swap-for-your-web-app

20 minutes for startup is pretty extreme. I presume that CPU is at 100% during that time - have you done any tracing to see what's taking so long?

Jas

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft