Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter Stokes 5 posts 25 karma points
    May 24, 2016 @ 12:53
    Peter Stokes

Hello,

I have a document type with a list enabled of a child type. i.e. News and News Item.

Is it possible to populate the child items dynamically from an external system?

Is this is the best approach?

I thought of using a document type because then the properties could be set on a per instance basis matching whichever fields were relevant to that specific install. Only the rendering template would then need to be adjusted (unless there was a means of making that generic).

Cheers Stokesy

• Nik 1600 posts 7180 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    May 24, 2016 @ 13:23
    Nik

Hi Stokesy,

Yes it is possible, but a bit more information would probably been needed to advise you if it is best for your current situation.

Umbraco is fully extendible to integrate with other systems and has different mechanisms.

If you only wanted to retrieve the values at render time (i.e. for front end users) then you could consider using your own controllers to serve up partial views and interact with your data source. Alternatively you could create a custom back-office section that can download from your data source and insert into your content tree.

Nik

• Peter Stokes 5 posts 25 karma points
    May 24, 2016 @ 13:36
    Peter Stokes

Hi Nik,

Yes it would only need to be at render time. No back office requirement other than being able to add different fields relating to the external datasource.

Thanks Stokesy

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft