Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Katlynn 18 posts 89 karma points
    May 24, 2016 @ 17:21
    Katlynn

Users receiving 'email is not valid' error when submitting form

Hi there! We've been getting reports that certain users are receiving an 'email is not valid' error when attempting to register for an event through a form on our website.

I'm not sure what could be causing the issue, as everything seems to be working fine on my end, so I wanted to reach out to this community and see if anyone had any ideas.

We're using umbraco 6.1.6. Thanks!

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    May 24, 2016 @ 17:33
    Nicholas Westby

Are you using Umbraco Forms or Contour (or other) for your registration form?

May 24, 2016 @ 17:35
    Katlynn

We're using Contour. I suspect it's an issue with the regex, but the errors have been pretty random and widespread, so I can't pinpoint a specific issue that's prevalent in all of the non-valid email addresses so far.

May 24, 2016 @ 17:47
    Nicholas Westby

Can you post the regex you are using? It could be as simple as some users having short emails (e.g., [email protected]) or emails with unexpected TLD's (e.g., [email protected]).

Also, do you have a screenshot from the users?

Does the error appear to be field-specific (e.g., with a validation message below an email field) or form-specific (e.g., an error message appearing after the form fails to submit)?

May 24, 2016 @ 17:56
    Katlynn

I just inherited the website from the person that was previously in my position, and they had the regex set as:

^[_a-z0-9-]+(\.[_a-z0-9-]+)*@[a-z0-9-]+(\.[a-z0-9-]+)*(\.[a-z]{2,4})$

I don't have any screenshots from users, but it's after the form has failed to submit.

Thank you!

May 24, 2016 @ 18:06
    Nicholas Westby

Yeah, that regex definitely has some issues (e.g., doesn't account for some characters: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%83). I'd recommend loosening it up to something like this:

.+@.+

May 24, 2016 @ 19:13
    Katlynn

Thank you! I'll give it a try and see if we get any results.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft