Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stephen 94 posts 255 karma points
    Jun 01, 2016 @ 13:12
    Stephen

Running a local DB on Azure

Hi All,

I am about to help someone move their sites on to Azure, from a Windows VM. One thing I can't see a clear answer on is:

Will the loacl DB (umbraco.sdf) just work on Azure as it does on a VM, or have I got to move it to a Azure SQL Database?

There are various versions of Umbraco, but most are 6 or 7.

Thanks for any help.

Stephen

• Mac McDell 73 posts 148 karma points
    Jun 01, 2016 @ 16:28
    Mac McDell

I would move it to azure DB. There is a really simple plugin migration tool in visual studio available to do this. Check this for useage. https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/0e313dfd-be80-4afb-b5e9-6e74d369f7a1 As a sidebar however if you really want to leave it as sqlCE, it should theoretically still work. The issue will be that you will have a local instance and prod instance that will not be sharing the same db. Unless that is what you want.

• Stephen 94 posts 255 karma points
    Jun 01, 2016 @ 16:38
    Stephen

Hi Mac,

Thanks for the quick response. None of the websites are expected to have any further development on them, so I can't see that being a problem.

There is also likely to be the factor of cost. If every website I have to move for them adds 30 mins to the migration time, it's gona cost the more, so I expect I know which route will be favoured.

Thanks for the help

Stephen

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft